Tuesday, July 15, 2008

birthday girl

There was no birthday cake waiting for Ellie when she got up. She hadn't expected one. She wasn't expecting anyone. Especially, when she looked at herself in the mirror while she was braiding her hair. It was still black. And she knew how her mother felt about that.

Yet, she felt as if she was walking around in a stupor. What was she suppose to do?

She nursed on one of Aunt Maggie's cups of coffee. Not even a half cup of milk could really save it. It was so strong. Just three sips of the bitter brew made her flinch.

"How do you do that?" She asked about the coffee.

"I save my coffee all week, and just reheat it." Ellie was sure she'd be sick now.

"You do?"

"That's the way we've always done it," Aunt Maggie told her. Ellie looked around wondering if the others were still around by the way she talked.

Finally, Ellie heard her cell. It was her Dad wishing her a happy birthday.

"You should get a package today!"

"Thanks Dad." But Ellie wasn't in the mood to even smile. Her mother wasn't on the phone with him. "Is everything all right?"

"Oh, your sister had a scare," her Dad mentioned. "You're Mom's at the hospital right now."

"Is everything OK?"

"I think so, just bed rest, they say." Her Dad told her.

"I thought maybe she was already on bed rest," Ellie said.

"Well, I guess its official now."

"So everything else is going all right?" Ellie wondered if Eric was helping.

"Oh, yeah, I've been cracking the whip, " he told her. "Kyle's been a little out of pocket with all the corn detasseling. He got Eric to mow. Only he's never mowed before, and he got a little choked up over the grass. Guess he must be allergic, but I taught him a thing or two."

"I bet you have Dad."

"Well, you have yourself a good time today," he then said as if she was off at a resort of some kind.

"Doing what?"

"You'll think of something." He left it at that.

After the phone call she went to start a wash of clothes and sweep the dining-room before Aunt Maggie got a chance too. She stayed busy for about an hour or so, then her cell rang again. It was Kyle.

"Hey, so how's the birthday girl?"

"Fine," she was somber. "What are you doing?"

"I'm on a school bus, dipped in mud on my way back to town," he sounded tired. "Don't think I'll be at this corn detasseling much longer. Its almost over."

"You don't sound pleased about that."

"No really," he said. "It was just starting to get fun."

"So you met someone?"

"No, I did get Roxie to come out with me once, but she only lasted a day."

"Darn."

"So uh, your dude is growing something on his face," he then said. "And I don't think he'll shave until you come home. Some sort of romantic shit like that. I almost think he's lost it."

"Just make sure he doesn't drive down here alone," Ellie was still bothered by the phone call from last night. "He says he wants to come down here and get me."

"Shit, he said that?" Kyle sounded a little shocked. "Well, he hasn't said anything to me about it. I'm sure it was just talk."

"If he were to drive all the way down here, you have to come with him. I don't want him driving all this way. Alone." Ellie told him.

"What are you? His mother?"

"Kyle, listen to me. Just don't let him come down here. At least at the moment. I'm in enough trouble, already."

"All right. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not promising anything," Kyle said.

Just then, Ellie noticed a vehicle leaving a trail a dust on the main road. She didn't think Eric would have driven all night just to get here.

10 comments:

  1. Omg loving the story!!! *sigh* wish I could write like this lol. Thank you sooo much for the comment dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ellie's dad is nice, and so is kyle. and eric... i agree with kyle, he's losing it. and ellie's mum is so stupid!!! she doesn't even speak to ellie on her birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i got really excited on the last part. can't wait for tomorrow to see what's next. lol. at least Ellie's dad is nice. sheesh at her mother. @ Kyle, i don't know what to say about him, but somehow, he's thoughtful. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny what her Dad said to her. I still like Kyle, but then I love Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the story, it always ends with intrigue in store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again Ellie-I've tagged you with a Premio Award, for your creativity and originality in story writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. damn it! I was going to tag you for that same thing!!!

    do you mind a double tag? unfortunately, i've been too lazy to do it...so, I couldn't really start tagging people. huh.

    Great piece - OH CRAP ERIC!

    I hope it's just Ben or something...

    Have a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I didn't know that either. Interesting.

    Well, you know what they say . . . the more things change, the more they stay the same.

    I like this part. At least Dad cared enough to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man! I would hate to be there on my bday! and 16 nonetheless! Poor Ellie, but i cant wait 2 see if that is Eric! Keep it up!
    XOXO Buh-Laire :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. eric's so romantic :)
    and yeah, i still think leia is STUPID.

    ReplyDelete