Tuesday, March 9, 2010

back to basics

Eric somehow forgot to tell his Mom about Syd.

Well, a lot was going on. A lot more than he anticipated. After the birth, it was down right back breaking. Getting the low-down about how to take care of the baby. As it was, he was sure Elliot should have been there for all of the class, but after all, Eric was the father so he got the first hand experience.

It was exhilarating and exhausting. He could barely keep his eyes open. And then they wanted him to help with the baby when they got home. Before he knew it, he was stranded at Elliot's with Amanda who was on bed rest.

"Mom, can you come and get me?" It felt weird to call home and ask a favor. But what he'd give for a shower and a shave and a bed to sleep in. If he didn't get out of their soon he might become a zombie. There wasn't exactly a party going on here. He was the one who was taking care of Evan. Or so it seemed. Well, Amanda used the breast pump and of course she slept a lot. Elliot had to do a few things at school even if he were taking some time off.

Finally, Eric told him he was going.

"Well, can you come back tomorrow? Can't you?" Elliot was at least doing kitchen duty.

"I dunno. Doubt it. I mean, I do. I want to, its just I hadn't scheduled time off from work. Can it wait til the weekend?" Eric felt bad about leaving. But he needed a break too. He didn't mean to be the jerk.

"I guess." But Elliot sounded let down. From his stare, Eric knew Elliot didn't want to be left alone with the baby.

"You'll do fine. Just call me if, if you think I can, help, OK?" Eric sighed, feeling as if he'd been through just as much as either of them. It was a circus of sorts. He wasn't sure who needed babying more. Amanda or the baby. As it was Elliot was doing all the Amanda stuff. He wasn't.

Eric just smiled wondering how it really was when Amanda had her first baby. How did Kyle handle it?

Soon enough, his Mom came around. He was hoping she'd send Ian, but she didn't. No, they had a nice talk on the way to her house about someone else.

"What's Syd doing back?" She asked right away.

"Oh, oh," Eric closed his eyes, feeling sleep sitting in instantly, but this was no time for a nap. "I forgot to tell you. I'm sorry." He looked at his mom who was glaring at him and not the road. Eric looked ahead, thinking one of them had too.

"What? That she's here?" His mother winced. " I didn't think you two-"

"Mum, I know you don't want to hear this, but I want to marry Syd." Eric sighed feeling a yawn take over him.

"Marry her? Are you out of your mind? You can barely take care of yourself, and now there's a baby."

"Yeah, that absolutely, why, I want to." Eric shrugged, remembering then that she didn't know about that baby. He thought he'd told her.

"What?" She snapped.

"Mum, watch the road!" He thought she was going to go across the center stripe then. If only Ian had came to pick him up. Did Ian even have his driver's license? Damn, he felt as if he was in a brain freeze. He just wanted to go home and see Syd. He didn't really care how mad his mum might get at the moment.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure he must be tired. He and his mum most definitely have to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's because of all the stuff I put him through? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's better if he sleeps before this discussion takes place with his mom; otherwise, it may not go too well! :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet he's tired. I hope his Mom sees that.

    ReplyDelete