Sunday, April 1, 2012

nothing to laugh about



Kyle froze when heard what Rosie said to Jai. He could hardly believe her words. They were so cold and not like her, at all.

Next thing he knew, Jai was running down the hall to Rox in the kitchen. His dad would be their any moment and Rosie had him in tears.

"Why would you say that?" He came into her room. She was at the tiny table where she made Jai sit through her tea party with her stuffed animals. Kyle thought she might be becoming a monster. "You don't tell someone their Dad's gonna die."

"Why not? He's a policeman. They die all the time." She glared at him.

"Don't scare him like that." Kyle picked her up and sat on the bed with her. "I know you've been through a lot lately, but you have to consider Jai's feelings. He's family."

"What if he goes to live with his dad?" Rosie pouted.

"Why would he do that?" Kyle looked at him blankly.

"He talks about it all the time." She sniffed tears.

"Is that what this is about? You're afraid he'll go away?" He wanted to know.

"Yes. Might as well be sooner than..later." She wrapped her arms around him.

"Look, you can't predict the future. You just need to think about how you can make it, the best right now. You have to be there for Jai. He's been there for you."

She shook her head, no. She didn't believe it.

"You get along pretty good. I don't know many guys who'd come to a tea-party." He reminded her.

He watched her bite her upper lip. "You go tell him, you're sorry. Tell him before its too late. Tell him, you are his friend."

She wiped a tear from the back of her hand. She sighed and scooted off to find Jai. They found him on the livingroom couch flung on his stomach, crying softly.

"Sorry." She could barely whisper, but Jai paid her no mind. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." She gave him a little hug.

"I don't like, you, anymore." Jai informed her.

"I'm sorry I said those things." She sighed. "I want my mommie. I want her, so much. I'm sorry. I don't want to lose you too."

Kyle hugged himself. Just when he thought things might be normal, he wondered if they ever would be.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes normalcy feels like such a far-off dream. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Kyle is so sweet! I think it is easy to get caught up in what is normal and feeling like you don't quite cut it!?

    Hailes<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though the story is more important, I just wanted to say that I love the picture you used!

    With love, Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh, what a gorgeous little girl!!

    http://yuliconversations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete