Sunday, June 3, 2012

back again



Ian supposed everything was back to normal. Jules and Willow were back from their trip, and he could go back to having his evenings at the library and skimming around Kayla. Although, things were a little complicated with Josie, but not really.

Yes, there was something to smile about, but he wasn't sure if he should. Not just yet. Maybe he needed to be a little mopey, in spite of everything that transpired.

"Well, where is she?" Jules asked about Josie.

"Doctor's appointment." Ian told him as he watched Jules do his little walk through. Perhaps it was an inspection, but Jules was rather laid back about it. As it was Willow was a bit jet-lagged, yet Jules couldn't wait to get back to business.

"She all right?" Jules winced as if Josie's appointment might change everything.

"Yeah. I think. Pretty much." Ian nodded not really wanting to go into detail. There had been perhaps something Ian was waiting to hear back from Josie's appointment. Hopefully, Josie would ask a few questions to the doctor, personal.

"And it worked out?" Jules looked at him blankly.

"Yeah, it really worked out." Ian smiled more than he should have. He felt instantly guilty.

"No, Topher? I take it?" Jules stared at him.

"No. Sorry. He dropped in one time, for his paycheck." Ian told him.

"Bugger! I need him. Now." Jules sighed.

"Well, Josie still wants to work here. If..if its all right." Ian mentioned she'd be here a little after eleven to help with the lunch crowd.

"At least we have her." Jules shrugged.

"I'll stick around this morning. How's that?" Ian didn't want to leave Jules hanging.

"Good." He went to check the cash register.

"So, how was the trip?" Ian wanted to know. Jules barely mentioned it.

"Well, I'm back." He grinned. "I kept having nightmares they'd keep me there. And now..now I wished I'd stayed longer. Got to meet with my sister."

"Your sister?" Ian winced as if that was bizarre. Jules never mentioned a sister.

"Don't suppose you'd know Haley. I barely know her myself. She was long gone before Mum moved in with your mum. I barely remember her father, at all. Anyway, she's seeing Mum now, and she.." He hugged himself. "I wished I'd known what to do, you know. I get this one time to see her..and I don't know her. I never knew my sister. I feel, I completely wrecked it, you know." He swelled a frown.

"I'm sure, you didn't. You two, can keep in contact. Just call her. Make a plan. You can get to know her." Ian squeezed Jules' shoulder.

Jules only shrugged as if he couldn't really talk about it.

"Gilly is really good for Jonah." Jules sighed. "I can see that now. I can hardly believe it, you know. Gilly." He chuckled then. "He was always so quiet. Like, you never really knew he was there, and then he comes to the rescue."

"So it was a good visit, all around?" Ian smiled then.

"Yeah, it was a good one. Wish I'd enjoyed it more, you know." Jules sighed. They didn't have much time to talk much more. There were customers to wait on.

5 comments:

  1. I think it would be good for him to see more of Haley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is usually the way it goes on a trip..thinking back how you could have enjoyed it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules seems calmer. I hope he'll work at getting to know his sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the most quiet person in the room has the deepest thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete