Sunday, June 10, 2012

its complicated



Syd was frazzled from the sun and the humidity, but at least the potato salad was made ahead of time. The steaks were seasoned. All Eric would have to do was take them to the grill, out back.

"Lemonade?" She asked Josie who was stuck in the kitchen with her while the guys were out back watching the grill heat up.

"I can get it." Josie went to the fridge.

"OK." Syd sighed as she went to put away the seasonings while Ella was under her, pulling out pots and pans and Evan was watching some animal show. Syd sighed wishing a nap. She was afraid to have a cup of hot tea or she'd be wide awake when everyone else was asleep. She did have the kids on a schedule. Usually, it was Eric she worked the hardest with, on the schedule. "So? You and Ian know each other from school?" Syd guessed it was a stupid question, but she felt she had to make conversation.

"Ian? Hasn't said anything about me?" Josie stared at Syd as if she was shocked that he hadn't.

"No," Syd shook her head. "He hasn't."

"That's OK." She sighed, as she turned to her glass of iced lemonade on the counter where she watched Syd worry about dinner. "I mean, he doesn't really want me to tell anyone, either. That's why we came all the way here, to get out of town."

"Get out of town?" Syd almost laughed. What was that suppose to mean?

"He's so afraid Derrick will make a big deal out of everything if he knows about us. As if he notices I'm even around, lately." Josie rolled her eyes.

"I don't know THAT much about him, but I know Ian really cared about him." Syd went to the fridge to see what she could make as in a salad.

"Yeah, well..that's history." Josie shrugged as she took a sip of lemonade. "Like a lot of things. I'm starting to wish this was all over." Josie rubbed her tummy.

Syd looked at Josie blankly.

"The baby." Josie looked at her point blank. "I'm not even keeping it. My dad won't let me. And now, I finally find someone ...that I know makes me happy..just as much as I make him happy. August can't come soon enough." Josie winced then. "I wish somebody else was having this baby. Like my Mom." She laughed then. "I had a dream that my mother said she'd go through the labor pains for me. And she had the baby for me."

Syd faked a laugh. She wondered if Eric had a clue about what was going on.

7 comments:

  1. Derrick just needs to grow up. Josie deserves to be happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad that she doesn't want/doesn't get to keep the baby. I wonder if she'll feel the same way when she finally meets her child?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its interesting to see how indifferent Josie can be..as if she might really be brave, yet at the same time, I feel she's probably a lot more emotional than she knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad that she isn't allowed to keep her baby, I think there is definitely a part of her that wants to keep but maybe is allowing herself to think that far ahead. I hope she changes her mind when it comes around to the birth!

    Another great post Ellie :)

    P.s Thank-you for checking and posting on my blog recently! I have been so busy and struggling to find time to check my comments let alone read anyone else's blog :P nice to be catching up with what I have missed though!

    Hailes<3

    Click here to visit my blog – Hailes Hearts Fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure even Josie knows what sort of emotions she might be in. But it might be more emotionally painful than she expects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad Syd knows what is going on now.

    ReplyDelete