Friday, February 7, 2014

a little secret

A Little Secret




Lena was beginning to think Angie might have an eating disorder. It came up after her visit to the emergency room.

Angie kept shaking her head, no. "That's not it. If I tell you, you'll think I'm stupid," Angie said a few days later when it was just the two of them getting supper ready before Tony got home.

"I would never say you were stupid." Lena told her. "What's wrong?"

"Its me. All me." She sounded so sad as if she were the cause of every awful problem in the universe. "Do you think Tony would have married you by now, if I weren't here?"

"Now you're just changing the subject." Lena went to check on the one pot meal on the stove.

"I really want him to marry you, you know." Angie looked at her serious. "But people just don't marry in my family, evidently."

"We will get married." Lena felt she needed to promise Tony's little sister. "But its the dead of winter. And Tony needs to finish up his degree."

Angie only nodded. "It not like I want a big wedding, but I sometimes dream about my own. I know who I want to marry now." Angie looked up at Lena who was putting butter and milk into the potatoes to mash up before she used the mixer.

"You, already know?" Lena couldn't help but smile.

"Yeah, I know his name now." She sighed with a smile as if she'd met the most dreamiest of guys. "But he probably thinks I'm awful. Only, he's perfect. He's more than just a handsome guy. He's amazing."

"And how would you know this?" Lena questioned as if Angie must be reading far too many of those teen idol magazines she always wanted when they went to the store.

"He kind of saved me at the grocery store. But it was him who made me so woozy. I've never felt like that around anyone, you know. But he was so sweet. I'm in love and I dunno what to do about it." She went to get the eating utensils.

Lena couldn't help but smile. Sometimes, first loves were just stories to write in your journal. Maybe Angie would figure it out. Nobody was perfect.

2 comments: