Wednesday, March 4, 2015

nothing's gonna change who I am

nothing's gonna change who I am




Carson knew it was an awful time to bring it up. Especially, at his Dad's wedding. After all, he and Gage were his Best Men.

Just when he wanted to talk about his future, there were ties to be tightened, suits to be smoothed down.

Carson winced as if he'd have to start, somewhere. He was afraid to talk to Charlie about it. He knew she wouldn't like the idea.

"What is it son?" Now his Dad was tense. "You, think Ren's too old for me? Well? I've always liked them older, you know." He shrugged as if he had so much explaining to do. "For heaven's sake, your mother was older than me."

"Look-" Carson started to pace. "No. That's not what this is about. And I-I didn't even know Ren was older than you. In fact, I'm glad she's mature..and you aren't one of those who still thinks he's still got it with somebody my age..."

"Well, I haven't thought of that." He winced as if he should be worried, but of course, he wasn't.

"I want to go to the Police Academy." Carson sighed.

"Well, at least you don't want to be a priest, anymore." His Dad smiled. "I remember when you told me this, when you were barely four. Had a rough day at school. I suppose. You, said you would never marry and you'd be a priest. And I said, but we aren't Catholic. Of course, I decided you must be gay to say such a thing. And I thought then..I'll have plenty of time to figure this out before we talk about it again, but of course, we didn't." He winced in thought. "So that's what you really want to do?"

Carson nodded. He'd already taken a semester of requirements he would need for the Academy.

His Dad hugged him. It was time for them to find their places so the wedding could commence.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad Carson had a moment with his father... I hope they have more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful moment between father and son!

    xx

    ReplyDelete