Friday, February 3, 2017

destination unknown

destination unknown




Sheena guessed Omaha was OK. Possibly, more quiet than usual, but he was the hardest worker at work. And they still brown bagged lunch.

"How is Sara?" Sheena finally asked. The pregnancy subject hadn't came up since the taco night at Taylor and Sara's.

"OK, I guess." He munched on an apple as if he didn't know what she was even getting at.

"Is she going to have a baby, or not?"

Omaha only shrugged and looked away. "Its none of my business." His voice was dull.

"Are you two still-" She didn't know what to ask. "Maybe..maybe we should find a place, together."

He looked at her as if that would be, just ridiculous.

"I'm serious. I hate..seeing you like this." She told him. Her rye sandwich with cheese and turkey was losing its taste. She wanted to toss it in the trash.

"But..but its not Sara." He shook his head, no.

"You won't talk to me. Why won't you talk to me?" Sheena felt as if she was whining, but it was the truth.

"I don't want to talk about it, here." He sounded as if he was losing his voice, already. He tossed his half eaten apple.

"Then when?"

"Oh, god." He could barely say above a whisper.

"Fine." Sheena threw her sandwich away, and hugged herself hard. "Then, I'll just ask Minnie."

Omaha pressed his lips tight.

"How come, you can tell her everything..and..and me..you won't tell me..anything!" She felt a little demanding, but it was the honest truth.

"I..I dunno...I wish..I could." He sighed as he looked her in the eye. "I promise..I will..when.."

"When..just when will you tell me?" She looked at him as if he were her only child she would ever have.

"Maybe, we..should ..just go somewhere."

"OK, I'll make reservations." She reminded him they hadn't seen the zoo in Des Moines.

"I don't want to go ...that far." He looked at her as if that was too much trouble.

"Then, what do you want to do?" She wanted to know.

"How about camping?" This much he could do.

"OK, camping." But she'd never gone camping. She'd need a lot of faith in him, to get through this. Some how.

2 comments:

  1. I hope they have fun camping... it's not my thing but I know many people love it xox

    ReplyDelete