Thursday, June 21, 2018

the long hot summer


Omaha really didn't want to admit it, but he might be the most selfish person on earth. And a wee bit jealous to anyone Sheena might know.

"Why am I like this?" He finally confessed to his neighbor Ed who had come down to see how bad his roof looked, after the storm.

"Because you're human." Ed shrugged.

"But I should be married and..and I don't know, why..why haven't we gotten married?" It pained Omaha to even talk about it. "I just wish I could get it done."

"That's something for you and Sheena to decide." Ed shrugged helping himself to a beer in Omaha's fridge. "Marriage, isn't for everybody," Ed admitted he'd never tied the knot and he didn't think Betty had ever married, either, even if she'd been engaged several times.

"You know, its kind of like dying." He told Omaha.

Omaha squinted hard, thinking that was the worst thing he'd ever heard.

"You know, the single life coming to an end," Ed said he still had time to make up his mind. But Omaha wasn't so sure of that.

"I..I think it's that..I don't want to spend the money, you know." Omaha winced. "I wish I could, but I just don't see why we have to spend so much money on a wedding."

"But, it would be nice to celebrate it." Ed looked at him as if he needed to spend a little money.

Omaha was beginning to think this was making him sick, but he would hate to wake up and find that Sheena had given up on him. He really wanted her to be his family because he didn't have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment