Wednesday, April 21, 2021

The things we do for love



 Dan meant to talk through this with Ivy. He knew she was upset from the news she heard about Jay. But then she showed up with the baby and her bags.

He didn't know what to say. He'd done his best to be as cold as he could, but here she was as if he was the only friend she ever had, and it stung him deep that he might be the root of the problem, after all.

"I would have been fine without him," Ivy said now she wished Jay hadn't come back. "If..if I'd only known he'd rather been with somebody he used to know in high school, instead of me..." she fought back tears, and then the baby cried. So Dan went to tend to the baby.

"I would have been fine if I were with you!" Her agony only made him wince more as he did a slow dance with the baby to calm her down. Naturally, Ivy caught him at the waist from behind, and he dragged her along in his dance with the baby. 

He was slipping. Slipping right into Ivy's grip. And it felt like home.

Why did he have to feel this way? He'd worked so hard to put her in her place. He had stayed away. He paid the baby no mind. Until now. Now..it felt so bitter-sweet to hold the baby. He knew he didn't have a right. Dan didn't want to cry, but it felt good to let go of the hard wall he'd built these last few weeks. 

"This is not a good idea," he finally managed to say as he looked down at her hugging him as if she would be here all night if she had to. "You can get through this without me."

"No, I can't!" She told him. "I can't! Ever since I left I've been thinking about you."

Dan shook his head no. This was like stepping into troubled waters. 

"I promise I'll never leave you," Ivy wailed. "I know I've had a lot of growing up to do. And I'm done. I am so done."

He shook his head, no. He thought he did. Maybe he didn't. He sighed, wishing she'd let go. The baby was asleep.

"Let me put Hope down," He sighed. Finally, she let go and Dan cleared his nose and his throat. He was sure he was going to be sick.

Of course, she hugged him as soon as the baby was in the car seat. He hugged her too. This had to be the worst idea in the world, but Dan didn't care.

30 comments:

  1. I loved. Sometimes the worst ideas are the best.
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! oh, poor Ivy:( but a really good chapter. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The heart wants what it wants...sigh....
    Can't wait to see where this is going, Ellie:) And thanks for the info btw about Wang De Shun! I really must watch this show. Am currently in a Scandinavian crime shows binge lately, but will add this show to my list:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. Oh, I like Scandinavian crime shows too!

      Delete
  4. So this is very interesting ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing post, like always
    I love your storie, and i can't wait for read more
    kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. The story has a new twist added to it. Interesting to see what will happen. Good writing, Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  7. Ah, sweet surrender! "He was slipping. Slipping right into Ivy's grip. And it felt like home." This is such an emotional installment, and I love it! Character-driven fiction is the best fiction, and you write it so well. Also, very clever title tie-in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making my day! Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  8. Powerful chapter; perhaps because there was also a crying baby in the middle. It ends well - she hugged him and he hugged her. Dan and Ivy will hopefully find a way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Who knew a fussy baby could be a plus..=)

      Delete
  9. Uy que tierno capítulo Me gusta la pareja de Dan e Ivy. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  10. so romantic and full of emotions...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Czasami się pchamy w coś bardzo trudnego, a wychodzi z tego coś dobrego :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we push ourself into something very difficult, and something good comes out of it :)

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed reading what you wrote! I like being able to picture what I read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Thanks for the comment and thanks so much for reading.

      Delete
  13. Dear Ellie! This chapter is great like others. When i read your chapters,I feel myself in the exiciting film series

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've loved it, and the sweatshirt a lot

    ReplyDelete