Thursday, January 20, 2022

Oh, it's a cold January



 "It's been hard, you know." Brick explained while Matty was trying his best to stock the snack aisle. Brick was supposed to be busy with the popcorn selection.

"What are we talking about?" Matty wanted to know. He hoped this wasn't about sex. He cringed the thought.

"You know, Lily being back and all," Brick shrugged. He was practically on the floor moving bags of popcorn in place.

"Well, don't make it more than it is," Matty assured him that Lily was only a Freshman and with other Freshmen now. "You just got to let it go."

"I know," Brick sighed. "I get it. I want that...it's just.."

"What?" Matty looked over his shoulder with his back to Brick.

"It's just I know she's at school. I find myself looking for her, and she's not even there." They both checked dates on the snacks and tossed some in a box that they would place in the breakroom. They wouldn't be for free but at least a discount price. "You don't think she's skipping?"

"Seriously," Matty winced. It was hardly above zero out. "Where would she go?"

"I dunno." Brick sounded sad about it.

"I think she's hiding from you. Have you ever thought, she doesn't want to see you? She doesn't want to know what you are doing," Matty said.

"Huh? I dunno. Not really," Brick said he couldn't imagine she was trying to do him a favor.

"Look, you have your circle of friends, let her find her circle," Matty told him. Brick only gave him a nod as he reached for the top shelf and Matty did the same on his side.

"So what's up with you and Val," Matty sensed Brick's smirk already.

"Fine. She was sick, but she's OK now. She's back in school." Matty shrugged.

"I swear, it's like you two aren't dating at all," Brick said and Matty only smiled.

14 comments:

  1. circle of friends usually leads to complicated....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. Thanks for sharing.
    I hope you'll visit my last post. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola! me gusto mucho este capítulo. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gostei de ler, conversar é sempre bom!

    Ane
    De Outro Mundo
    😘🌺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!! just like the title of this chapter says...it is a cold January where I live jaja anyway, great chapter, thanks for sharing it.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely and interestingly written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, two guys, just talking about girls. Brick is anxious and wary of Lily; Matty is the settled suitor: "I swear, it's like you two aren't dating at all," Brick said and Matty only smiled." I love that Matty smiled. It's like he's thinking that he's moved beyond teen drama. They grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cold conversation in the cold January!

    ReplyDelete