Saturday, July 2, 2022

Finding the magic in the madness




 Rosie was ready to have it out with Valentina, who didn't look like she was going through anything. She eyed her through the glass window at the bakery.

Why had Valentina wanted to give up her spot at Rosie's wedding? Rosie thought they were friends. Of course, the wedding had gone on in the park as planned. Although, Rosie thought she might lose it when she saw her old boyfriend Sunny there with Lizzy (Valentina's replacement).

"Oh, I..I guess I..forgot about that," Valentina said when Rosie finally mentioned it to her. Of course, Valentina brought her some chocolate gelato as a peace offering. It was quiet so they sat together at the back table in the sunny afternoon. "I'm sorry..I just had a lot on my mind."

"Why didn't you tell me Matty's brother was with her?" Yes, Rosie didn't mean to be in a sour mood, but Sunny was the last person she thought she'd ever see at her wedding. It wasn't like he kept in touch. "It's not like I hate her. It..it was so awkward."

"Is Chance OK?" Valentina wanted to know.

"Chance?" Rosie's eyes narrowed. He didn't know. It wasn't like she brought it up. She just ignored Sunny. Rosie sucked in a breath. "Of course, we are just fine."

"You didn't even have to get married," Valentina was being a downer as she cradled a glass of iced lemonade.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Rosie wasn't sure who was madder at each other. "What did I do?"

"Everything is so perfect for you." Valentina remained even-lipped.

"Oh really?" Rosie squinted. "Do you think my dad came to my wedding? Of course, not." She sighed. There were so many she invited from her extended family and no one showed up but her aunt who helped with the wedding. 

"Sorry." Valentina looked away and nursed her bottom lip. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. I know I should have. It's just..it's just life is complicated. And..and now I'm making it worse for Matty."

"Matty?" Rosie didn't know what was going on now. Was she supposed to apologize for introducing them? So long ago. She shook her head. "I just think how you and Robby used to be."

"Robby?" Valentina made a face of disgust. "You don't even know what you're talking about."

"Precisely," Rosie said as a friend. "You never really told me what was going on with you two. I just assumed it was perfect. Chance told me it wasn't, but you never talk about things like that. Not with me."

Valentina sighed. "I do envy you, Rosie."

"That's too big of a word," Rosie laughed. Sure they were both taking different paths. Rosie was to start at the university in the fall, but she really loved her full-time job at the daycare.

"I feel I have fallen into something worse than quicksand. I dunno if Matty and I will ever be the same again," Valentina said with sadness. "I used to go on and on..I was never going to have any kids, and now..I really want one." She nodded. "But I know that's a lot to ask from Matty."

10 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that Rosie was the one who introduced Val and Matty. This is such a sticky situation, with Rosie newly married and Val's future hanging in the balance. I don't blame Rosie, and I don't blame Val -- they're just coming from different places. But Rosie's laughter at the end suggests that their friendship will survive. Finally, until reading that last paragraph, I hadn't realized how badly Val wants a baby. That's rough.

    On a lighter note, the flowers and desserts in the collage are beautiful. It must have been a lovely wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good friend doesn't come to your wedding...that's nasty, and then the replacement is someone from the the past that's not really welcomed at the wedding. I would not be a happy camper and a little gelato certainly wouldn't make up for it. Didn't seem like much of an apology. YOu didn't have to get married...what's with that comment. Things sound pretty rocky in this relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great title. Great piece. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a lot of times when we are young, we forget how to be the BEST of friends. It isn't until later we learn to nurture friendships, a lot of times. Even then if can be iffy..or so I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhh very intense chapter
    but... I love it jajaja
    Thanks for sharing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. The drama continues. She was rude for not telling Rosie she wouldn't be attending her wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valentina's really struggling with this. And her relationship with Rosie is certainly fraught. Nice conversation though. Friendships can be rough, and yeah missing the wedding certainly hurt Rosie, you can tell... bur hopefully they can get past this.

    Hope you're having some good drinks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creo que debería haber leído relatos anateriores, me he perdido mucho en este capítulo.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to some a story is within a story. And other's it is hard to gather what it's about without reading earlier stories. Thanks again for dropping by.

      Delete