Sunday, August 21, 2022

Just imagine the possibilities

 


Lynsey listened to Poppy for quite a while. After all, Charles was busy at the theater. There were summer workshops and even an evening at the park to tend to. It was a good thing they got married a few months back when they took a road trip to Denver. 

But now that she listened to all of Poppy's troubles, she knew Charles would be totally depressed. It seemed it was all her Aunt's fault. Why had she made it so hard to keep her away from her father?

"I might be normal if..if I could have had a real family with my Dad," she'd said as if she had to blame her troubles on something.

"Well, it might have been hard, you know," Lynsey winced. "We all have to be patience from time to time." She nursed her bottom lip, thinking this might be some sort of wake-up moment to Poppy. After all, that might have been a little girl's dream with Alfie. Of course, this might be another little girl's dream at work too, with Gage. "But then again, life is short." Lynsey might as well have been talking out loud, but Poppy was listening. 

She perked up over her hot mint tea and shortbread cookies.

"Are you saying, what I think you're saying?" Poppy looked so alive as if she liked this idea.

"I'm..I'm not saying anything." Lynsey looked at her blankly. After all, she had a toddler to chase after. She had her own worries to think of. After all, Casey was back in the picture. He did take Ethan (he was OK with the name change) on Sunday afternoons. Usually, he brought Katie with him and Lynsey was glad Casey had found a friend.

But back to Poppy, she'd decided to stay with them. She just needed time to think. Of course, Alfie called every few days. Sometimes, he would call Lynsey to ask how she was. Lynsey did her best to stay out of it. 

"Maybe, you should see if..if you could be a step-mom," Lynsey said she had a friend who was a step-mom who she worked with. 

Poppy chuckled as if it were a great idea.

"It would definitely be a whole new world," Lynsey told her.

"I would want to be the best step-mom, I could be," Poppy told her. "I used to dream of having a step-mom when I was growing up, but..but I never had one." She then mentioned how strict her Aunt had been. "I don't want to say I hated her, but she could make things so miserable. She still makes me think I'm not working hard enough. She can't stand Alfie." Poppy was in tears. Lynsey went to get her a tissue.  "I know she would tell me I'm going from bad to worse if I were to even think about Gage."

"It's not her call," Lynsey told her. "Let Gage know that you want to meet his son."

"You mean, like a date?" Poppy looked at her as if that was the funniest thing she'd ever heard.

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes our past writes a new story for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! nice title and nice chapter.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esperó que Popy siga su consejo. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading this cool article. Good job. Greetings from Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think Poppy need time. And everything will be all right she will be perfect step mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I hope things work out for Poppy and Gage. That's great thought that Lynsey is being a good friend and listening to her, even though she has her own stuff to take care of:)
    PS Oh, if I live down south, I would totally wear white all the time just because of the heat! :D And thanks for the heads up on Being a Hero. I've never heard of the original Korean one so I'll check it out Now that fall is coming soon (waaaaaaaah), my knitting mojo is coming back. I just wish I can do it faster, you know? I have so many projects planned, but I know they will take a long time. That's awesome that you're doing the blanket btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Es una historia genial me ha gustado mucho
    Bsss

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost forgot about the Lynsey-Poppy connection! It's interesting that Lynsey's Poppy's stepmom, and here they are talking about Poppy being a stepmom herself. But then, it's these kind of connections that make these stories work. I'm so glad that Lynsey and Charles got married and that Casey is somewhat settled with Katie too. It's true what they say, life really does go on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow very interesting! Denver trip brings marriage.

    ReplyDelete