Saturday, March 25, 2023

I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring. - David Bowie



 "Well, I got you to work, didn't I?" Alfie said NO to alcohol on St. Patrick's day, but he did buy Zoey dinner at the local place that was serving up Rubens at half-price with fries and onion rings.

Zoey was in a pout as if she didn't want to hear how she almost killed him, but she was going to hear it or else.

"You really are crazy!" He practically whisper shouted. Honestly, she'd frightened him. It was like she was Wonderwoman on steroids when she drank. She'd hit him in the eye when he was just trying to help her get out of the pub before she got in a fight with someone. And then she suddenly got romantic but turned on him like a vamp of some kind and bit his lip which bled deep.

"What?" She looked at him blankly now. 

"You know, you wouldn't want Dan to see you that way?" He stuffed a fry in his mouth while she dipped mayo and mustard on her onion rings.

"I don't know what I was thinking," she was straight-lipped as she went back to the sandwich and the shamrock shake with no alcohol.

"Well, quit thinking that way," Alfie thought everything was going so well. "What happened?"

She only sighed as if she would never ever tell him what was actually on her mind.

"Look, I can't drink. No matter what the conditions. I just can't." Alfie told her. "I have an ugly side too. And I have vowed I will not drink this year."

She looked at him as if he might be married to the church after all.

"I just want to see if..if I can be happier," Alfie did look a little sad as if it might not be working. "I do sleep better. I really do. I remember things better, you know. And, and you've been a whole lot of fun, until now."

She looked as if she might explode in tears. She wanted to tell him she was sorry, but her throat was too parched to go through with it. She reached for the green shake, instead.

"I'm not saying it's over, but you better not want to go out, all the time," Alfie reminded her how expensive it could get. "I mean, if worse comes to worst, then just make it a bottle of wine from time to time at home."

"But..but I throw up red wine," she said as many times as she'd tried. She always threw up by the end of a bottle of red wine.

"Babe, you throw it all up," Alfie was serious as he spoke quietly. Zoey only frowned. "Look, both of us will get a lot farther if we just give it up. Find other things to do."

"Like what?" Her eyes were so big as she kept taking her time with the huge sourdough sandwich.

"Oh, I can think of a few things," he smirked, but he said he wasn't going to tell her.

9 comments:

  1. Ellie,
    People's relationships are sometimes incomprehensible, especially when they start to embark on a kind of addiction, whatever it may be.
    Kisses and good weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinking really brings us the worst in some people.
    Great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drinking brings out so much bad in people.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drinking just makes the issues worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uy la bebida es mala consejera. Genial fragmento. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beber pouquinho até pode, exagerar é problema!
    Uma garrafa toda de vinho? Não!
    Um abraço! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so relieved to hear that Alfie didn't fall off the wagon on St. Patrick's Day!
    It seems like Zoey is the way Alfie used to be, and maybe that's helping him move forward. Of course, I couldn't resist the humor of this line: "She looked at him as if he might be married to the church after all." I think these two may be good for each other! 🍟🍀🍟🍀🍟🍀🍟🍀🍟🍀🍟🍀🍟🍀🍟🍀🍟🍀

    ReplyDelete