Sunday, March 19, 2023

It's gonna happen one day

 


It was decided. Brooklyn would be going to UNL in the fall. Of course, it was a big dismay to her parents.

"But you got in at A&M and Minnesota," her mom had said. Wasn't she going into engineering?

"I don't care, anymore." Of course, they thought she needed to see someone for mental health. "I'll go crazy in the process if..if I'm away from everyone." The truth was she hadn't enjoyed high school all that much. Yes, she'd had her fun time with Mercer and the horses and whatnot. But there was Griffin and that had changed everything. He was in Lincoln and that's where she wanted to be.

Yet, she couldn't simply say this to her mother nor her father. They'd be livid. Wasn't she concerned about her education? "I just want to go there. I think it's the right thing to do." She told them she'd never lived on her own. "You've never let me do that. I don't want to be that far away from everyone."

Of course, they were disappointed, but she'd won this round. She was certain it would be good for her family too. Even if they didn't think so. 

"I don't know if I have it in me to even take on a full load," she told Harley. "Am I that awful?" She didn't think she was as analytical as her father thought she was. "I feel tired already just thinking about classes in the fall."

"Well, you've got the summer to relax," Harley sounded as if she could bounce back. After all, Spring Break was here and Prom was on the way.

"I should work, or something," Brooklyn confessed she'd never had a job.

"Then maybe you could work at the Horse Camp this summer, that would be perfect," Harley suggested, as she showed her the application on the site. 

"I guess." Brooklyn sighed.

"Oh, you just want to be with Griffin," Harley smiled and Brooklyn nodded. 

"Next thing I know, you two will be getting a place together like Link and Izzy," Harley said to her friend. Brooklyn just laughed as if Harley was just dreaming.

16 comments:

  1. Parece que las cosas se arreglan. Genial fragmento. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the chapter
    X
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreams can come true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do not like education in high school. I had bad memories from that....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a tough time, deciding what you want to do/ where to go, especially when parents pull a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a complicate situation
    I love the chapter and I love these characters
    Can't wait to read more ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Studying on autumn days makes our notebooks, books and handouts look dull.
    Another intense chapter, which I really enjoyed.
    💋 Kisses 💋

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally understand why Brooklyn's character made the decision. I remember feeling the same when I started uni so I ended up going to one close to home too. Hope everything works out for her:)
    PS Our March has been pretty cold here lately too...waaaaah:( Thank God we did have one good day last week. Anyhoo, I love shows with good OSTs! Thanks for the heads up on that Japanese one, Ellie:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that Brooklyn's doing so well! Even if high school wasn't such fun, she's light years ahead of where she was in terms of her mental health. This part made me smile: "Yes, she'd had her fun time with Mercer and the horses and whatnot." But maybe that's because I always find horses kind of funny. Also, even though Brooklyn's staying local for college because of Griffin, I think it's a good idea. You never know how you're going to feel when you're living far from home, and if you're already fragile, that makes it even riskier. 🐴🐴🐴🐴🐴

    ReplyDelete