Thursday, October 10, 2024

You know how it ends



 "Man, there is always a big turnover," Axton said about the child center. He'd just moved into a two bedroom place just down the hall from Oliver who was new too. It seemed he was more of a fulltime dad than he was. His ex up and left . 

Of course, Axton was certain he knew him. But it had been a long time, maybe since middle school that he'd seen him, that was back at Boystown.

"Well, I'll check into it," Oliver's smile was waning. He mentioned how the only person he had to talk to lately was his so-called nephew. "But I don't think I'm the role model I used to be." He mentioned Brick was at UNL now and on the basketball team. "I think I just annoy him with my texting." 

Oliver gritted a smile.

"Hey, bro, it's gonna get better," Axton gave him a slap on the back and took the little girl from him. "If all else fails, there's Bom in the building. She doesn't work and always a good neighbor."

Oliver nodded.

"You aren't nothing like you used to be," Axton chuckled then as they were out in the park of the apartment complex.

"Ah, so you remember."

"You and that Valentina," Axton had watched from the distance. He didn't know what they were really up to, but he knew they were tight.

"That's ancient history," Oliver shoved his hands in his jean pockets and shivered in his jacket in the crisp autumn wind.

"All right, I won't talk about it," Axton mentioned he was seeing Chili now. They'd grown up together too. "Of course, I had a baby with Em and well, I grew up with her too." 

Oliver nodded as if he understood. "Which reminds me, I saw someone in the hallway I used to know, but I didn't say anything."

"Who?" Axton wanted to know. He let Oliver's little one down to run to the slide. 

"Gabby."

"Gabby?" He winced thinking the name did sound familiar.

"I don't think she was ever at Boystown. Just high school." Oliver remained even-lipped. "I doubt she knows me."

But Axton had a feeling she must have been the one who got away.

9 comments:

  1. To go and stay, to smile and cry, nothing will tell us when things are finally over. Friends drift apart, couples break up, but there will always be a bridge of longing and sadness to unite them.
    (ꈍᴗꈍ) Poetic and cinematic greetings.
    💋Kisses💋

    ReplyDelete
  2. To go and stay, to smile and cry, nothing will tell us when things are finally over. Friends drift apart, couples break up, but there will always be a bridge of longing and sadness to unite them.
    (ꈍᴗꈍ) Poetic and cinematic greetings.
    💋Kisses💋

    ReplyDelete
  3. hola
    ains, me has dejado con ganas de mas
    Besotesssssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um excelente capítulo.
    Bom restinho de semana!
    Beijos! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melancólico fragmento. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a nice chapter.
    I wish you a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete