Thursday, July 17, 2008

mother's don't always know

Ellie got a phone call from her mother before she could call Eric.

Of course, it was about Lisa. Ellie listened to her all over again about how her sister was on bed rest from now on.

"She's just horrible, " her mother said, "But you knew that already."

"Yeah, maybe she'll get better," Ellie tried to sound positive. "So is Kyle and Eric helping Dad?"

"That Eric," her mother said sarcastically. "You know, he's never handled a lawn mower before. Thank God, Kyle took care of that. It was quite a sight, our front yard. But its better now."

"Sorry," Ellie said. "I guess you're still mad at me, and Eric, too."

"That hair. I want you to grow it out and cut it short." Her precise answer that just left Ellie with a sour face.

"Ben's taking me out tonight." Ellie wondered how her mother actually felt about that. She had to change the subject. Just maybe her mother would give her some inkling about him.

"Ben? Oh, you'll have a good time. I always have a good time with Ben, " she said. Ellie could tell her mom was happy talking about Ben.

"I guess so. He's bringing Lonnie Love with him."

"Oh, he's a nice little boy. He lives with his grandmother." Ellie supposed her mother thought she was little too. Didn't she get that she was sixteen and had a boyfriend and this was the last place she wanted to be.

"I think we're the same age."

"Really? I would have never guessed." Ellie wanted to tell her she was guessing about a lot of things too, especially about Ben.

"Thanks for calling." Ellie's dull voice ended. She didn't even care what her parents got her for her birthday. All she wanted was some evidence that her mother was actually Ben's mother. She needed to know.

13 comments:

  1. yes it was a short disappearance. but i'm back.

    same link, leave comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, she's a piece of work. Some conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... interesting. Will Ellie ever tell her mom??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo I want to read the next part!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mums, eh-never straight forward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, love your blog, can't wait for more! thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the suspense! I still can't wait to figure out if ben is her brother or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah. mothers don't always know everything. i hope she's not too being hard on Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She doesn't even care what her parents got her for her birthday..wow,that is really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooooo ellies mom why is she doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate tension with my mom...it's so...tense, I guess. I hope she finds out what her mom (and aunt) are hiding!

    ReplyDelete