Thursday, January 15, 2009

shattered

It had to happen. Late one night. When else could it possibly go wrong? Eric had been avoiding Ellie like the plague. Almost. But just as much. It was sudden.

She came over. Practically had him cornered. It was time.

"I think we should break up." She was all matter of fact. Maybe not cold. But certainly not happy about the fact.

"Oh." His throat was parched. He was really coming down with something this time. "But-"

"No, I have too." She nodded as if it were a must. "I was with someone."

Eric did his best not to work up a frown. He just nodded. There was so much more he wanted to know. "With Elliot?" He squinted.

She nodded.

"Like, uh, did you-"

"It doesn't matter OK. I was with him, and I can't do this anymore with you. And I'm sorry if I hurt you." She sounded brave as if Elliot might have been something fatal he'd given her.

"Lets just-" what was he supposed to say date other people..that would be wrong because he didn't want to date anyone else. "God, what can I do to change your mind?" His face was swelling in the horror of it all. "I'll quit drinking. I have. I'm going to change. I won't let you down. Promise."

"I can't see you anymore. I can't." She shook her head. He didn't want to believe her.

"But." He cringed. "Its just not that easy. It isn't."

"I have to."

"Why, so you can be with Elliot?" That made him sick to his stomach. He knew his face was turning red. He felt hot with anger and sadness.

"No." She licked her dry lips. "I'm just going to be with me."

Eric nodded. He sighed a bit shakey, wishing just one kiss would change her mind. He just stared at her.

"I love you." he said quicker than he wanted too. It wasn't enough. She was already gone.

6 comments:

  1. Woah, that break up was almost business like, pretty curt and quick! Poor Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. Wow. I wasn't expecting that to happen . . . but then I like when things happen that way. LOL. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh. This is a very matter-of-fact breakup, at least until now. Haha, dapper kid said the same - that was the word I was searching for, businesslike.
    Poor Eric. Now I feel sorry for him too, but he had it coming.. I wonder if he's the sort that you can keep being friends with after a breakup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I didn't see that coming, poor Eric. Does Ellie really want to be alone, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sudden. Hope Eric survives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh.
    this is so matter of fact.
    but you can tell how eric...


    ick :(

    ReplyDelete