Friday, May 15, 2009

hello goodbye - end of book 1

Ellie drifted off asleep as soon as they left for home. Perhaps she could drive part of the way if Eric trusted her enough. As it was, they said nothing to each other the first hour or so. Just the CD player kept MGMT on cue most of the way.

"I was getting pretty sick of the Sounds," Eric finally said. "You know, you really liked their stuff for a while."

"Did I?" She hadn't thought about that. She hadn't thought about anything much, really. Just her bed, perhaps. She couldn't wait to get back to some of her crochet projects. She had a baby blanket almost finished for Amanda. "Look, I'm not trying to cause-" She melted into tears then. "I want you to be happy, and I can see you're really happy without me."

"You know, I don't hate you." Eric said quickly as he kept his eyes on the road. He didn't look at her once. She really wanted him, too, but he didn't.

She just nodded.

"I'm sorry. I thought things would be better if you thought...that." He winced a little and just sighed.

Ellie crossed her arms.

"I guess you're pretty much ready for graduation." Ellie cleared her throat.

"I suppose." His voice was dull. "I might go back with my dad a bit. Dunno if I can. Sometimes, I think it would be best to get into some summer classes right away. You know, just get on with it."

"You need a break. Maybe...maybe Olivia, could come." She sniffed.

"Its not-" Eric cleared his throat this time. "Its not like you and me." He looked at her out of the corner of his eye.

"I know-" More tears came. "I know you love her. I can see it." She thought she might choke on her own tears then. "I'm not sure I can have something like that." She sniffed more. If she got bronchitis now, she deserved it. She truly did.

"Don't say that."

She thought he laughed then, but she saw he was crying too.

"Just promise me, you're going to be the best you can be this coming senior year. Just make the most of-it. Don't let anyone get in your way. You just have to find what you want to do with your life. You can't make everybody happy. Only... its little things, you know, its the little things that get you through the crappy stuff."

"You gonna write that in my year book?" Ellie tried to smile.

"Yeah, maybe I will."

The tears were almost gone now. She hoped she got her voice completely back because she knew she had to call home.

17 comments:

  1. and then....this can't be over..

    ReplyDelete
  2. the perfect way to end a story.....
    but there better be a sequel:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awhh. This was sad yet hopeful at the same time.

    The end of Book One. Wow. It's been one hell of a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there-Its good Ellie and Eric had this conversation, it puts a lot of things into perspective for them both. A great ending to your book 1, hope this isn't the end for you just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Passing to wish you a great weekend!

    Kisses and hugs friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have plans for the next part..and it'll be right here on this blog.

    Thank you so much for reading and your feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks. I will be writing more of trash but I am reaaaaaaaaally busy this weekend with a soccer tournament so I might not get to post until monday. I can't wait to read the next part:) Also it might be confusing when you read more of trash because I'm kind of writing it as it comes in different parts so the readers get it as a puzzle but it all comes together soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eric is so totally and completley adorable, i just want to give him a big hug. He reminds me of my cousin ben who is practically my big brother, i think that's why i adore him so much!

    Hope all is well in your life lovey :)

    xxoo,
    raigan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah that is the same as my other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the note. Glad there will be more. Hope you are having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So bitter sweet, but I can't wait for what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here at the end..here's a beginning..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sweet

    http://balmainbazaar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. hmmmm seems like you're ending a lot of things. and yeah I'm sure it does run in the family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like another story blog to catch up on. Love MGMT.

    ReplyDelete