Thursday, June 25, 2009

what could it be

The humidity of summer was getting to Lon in the Midwest. As of yet, he hadn't had any luck finding a job. Of course, Lydia's yard had been an under taking. First there were branches and the like to remove. Then came the mowing. He didn't know it would be so much. It felt like an acre. And if that wasn't enough, a rash broke out on his legs.

He tried not to let it bother him. He was tough. Wasn't he? Perhaps, he was breaking down. He didn't know exactly how to explain it. But then Ellie was being a bit distant, but then she was rather tired with classes too.

"Are you sleeping, all right?" He wasn't sure how to approach her about certain things. But it was the little things where the kinks always started, he supposed, and then a full blown blowup of some kind could come out of no where.

"Yeah." She gave him a smile then while she was drying dishes in the kitchen.

"You're sure?"

She nodded. "And you?"

"Of course," his eyes brighten as he went to grab a glass for some milk in the fridge. "Haven't slept quite this well in ages, but um, I dunno, you might-" he drank his milk before he brought anything else up, she might not want to talk about.

She almost laughed. "I'm fine. Sure, it's taking some getting used to, but I think by winter I'll be glad you're around."

"Winter?"

"You're like an automatic heater."

He remained even lipped not sure to take that as a good sign or not. He sat down.

"What was that dream about, really, the one you had other night? Was it about me?" He wanted to know.

"No, God, no." She was smiling again. "Actually, it was about a friend of mine. It was silly. I guess. Its just ...I dreamed something happened to her."

"Did you call her?"

"No."

"Why not?" He stared at her.

"I don't know where she is. I haven't seen her in a long time." She sighed.

"Can you call her Mom?"

"I could."

"Maybe it would make you feel better if you did."

"Maybe."

It was quiet then and Lon made himself a peanut-butter sandwich to go with his milk and a dill pickle. Ellie scowled a bit watching him eat the sandwich with the dill pickle. He just smiled and handed her a dill pickle.

"I know you want one," he smiled.

She took it and crunched on the dill pickle.

"So are you ever going to tell me about this Olivia who keeps hanging around. Just how serious is she with Roger?"

"Serious? I don't think so. She has a boyfriend. He's just in Europe right now."

"So they're just girlfriends, Olivia and Roger?"

"That about sums it up."

"I don't see you talk to her much," Lon then said.

"Well, I don't want to make her uncomfortable." Ellie put the dish towel away.

"Why is that?"

"I used to date her boyfriend." Ellie sucked in a breath then.

"I see." This was news to Lon.

"Oh my God!" Ellie suddenly said pointing to Lon's ankles. "Is that poison ivy?"

"Is that what that is?" Lon squinted, looking at the rash.

9 comments:

  1. I thought Eric and Olivia had split up-or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they talked about Leia..that's terrible though about the poison ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, the last part was funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good that you haven't gotten poison ivy. And I've been wanting to write something about camp in a story, based after Camp Stevens, I camp I really enjoy going to:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no..poison ivy. Never fun. I think its funny..first Roger asked if the dream was about him..then Lon asks about it. I do wonder if Ellie and Olivia will ever be close...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, poison ivy? This makes me crave peanut butter yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha what an ending. All that yard work in the heat can't be too good for him! And yick, poison ivy is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poison Ivy is no fun. I hope she finds out about Leia.

    ReplyDelete