Sunday, July 18, 2010

somewhere in the mix


"What? Right now?" Eric winced. "Are you nuts? You guys should have thought about this, long before now." Eric was not going to go over to Elliot and Amanda's at this time of night.He wished he hadn't even answered his cell.

"I know. I know. Its a lot to ask. I'm not sure what to do. I just want Rosie, you know, to have somebody with her. I don't want to leave her alone in the house. Could you think of someone? I didn't want to call Kyle's Mom because she'll just think its weird." Elliot sighed.

"OK." Eric first said. "I'm not coming. We have a life. And you are like an hour away or so. I have to get up, at like 4 in the morning, as it is." He was already in bed. "I'll call my brother. But he works til nine, you know. How long will this take?"

"A couple of hours." Elliot said so reasonable. It was as if he was living and breathing music, lately.

"Aren't you suppose to be thinking about teaching?" Eric reminded him, as if this was just crazy. Did he really think he had a chance of being a rock star? Seriously?

"Not until mid August. We're just doing this for Derrick. Help out with his college fund." Elliot told him.

"So that's what this is all about?" Eric sighed.

"Look, the kid, knows his music. I just want to be there for him. We both do. He's been pretty much neglected, you know." It was as if it were a family thing, but Eric hardly thought of himself as part of Elliot's family.

"All right." Eric rubbed his tired eyes. "I'll call. But I'm not guaranteeing anything."

Eric thought he was coming down with something, as it was. He couldn't afford to be sick.

Amber's Thoughts

10 comments: