Sunday, August 28, 2011

the seriousness of it



"What do you think, you, are doing?" Sam could clearly see it coming. Penelope. She'd been around, a good bit lately. But now he saw she'd brought luggage and planted it right in Elliot's room.

"Well, what does it look like?" Elliot was being kind of coy so Sam backed him into the garage so they could have a conversation. Granted, it felt like a 102 degrees inside the the place, but the old fridge kicked on where they kept the extra groceries. Too bad, they couldn't crawl inside to cool off. Instead, Sam looked Elliot dead on. This had to be a mistake.

"Did you..did you sleep with her?" Sam pressed.

"Possibly." Although, Elliot looked a bit confused about it. "I dunno what I'm doing, anymore. But..but she..she wants to help me. And damnit, she likes me. She really does and..and I really like her."

"Like?" Sam shook his head. He didn't get it. He was breaking into a sweat here. He needed something to drink, so he got out some cold bottle of water from the fridge.

"You're one to talk. Look how fast, it happened with..with Rachel. You  two, hardly know each other." Elliot said a bit cross as if Sam had no right questioning him about Penelope.

"God, look, I knew I loved her. I did. All right. I couldn't..I didn't want to see anything awful... happen to her. I wanted to see her happy. I could see a future..in us. All right. So why not make it happen?" Sam glared back at Elliot.

"Why can't I have that too?" Elliot winced. "Its just, you know, I can't be sure. I just want to see where it goes."

"Well, don't use her, because she's giving up a lot her time to help you. You better appreciate it." Sam reminded Elliot.

"I know. I just..think things will get better with Penelope, around." Elliot confided.

"God, lets get out here." They could make this place into a sweat lodge, Sam thought. He was ready to pour this cold bottle of water, all over his head.

7 comments: