Saturday, August 27, 2011

Liz, Kip and Munro



"OH MY GOD!" Liz didn't care if Kip heard her or not. She had Munro all to herself  in their bedroom, and she had to let it out. She had to. Kip was driving her crazy. Evidently, he'd moved in with them.

It was just temporary, wasn't it? It lasted the entire summer or so it felt. Kip still hadn't found a job. On the upside, he could stay home with Cole while she and Munro went to work. At first, she was scared to do it, but he'd promised he'd call if he were unsure of anything. Sometimes, he called just to chat.

"You know, we're doing a good thing. This is what Cole needs." Munro simplified it for her. Kip was after all Cole's dad.

"But..but we're babysitting him, you know. What if he never finds a job?" Liz was about to go bonkers. Then who'd get the baby?

"You know, jobs are pretty hard to find now." Munro gave her a hug as they sat next to each other on the bed.

"God, he's so lonely, Munro." Liz knew she was whining. She felt bad about his breakup with Gem. He never talked about her, but she knew he missed her. Liz could see the depression seeping in. "I'm gonna call her." She had to have her phone number somewhere. It was late here, but it might be morning where Gem was. She jerked out her cell and looked to find her number.

"Are you sure you should do this?" Munro looked at her as if it were the worst idea ever.

"Yes." Liz wasn't sure what she'd say, but she needed to talk to Kip's ex. "Hi." Liz smiled as if that would make her sound happy and friendly. "Uh, Gem, how are you?"

Naturally, Gem wondered why Liz was calling.

"Oh, you know, I-I thought you'd want to know about...Kip." Liz kept smiling.

"What about Kip?" There was a concern in her voice.

"Uh, well...uh, I ..I just want to say, I..I never ever meant to break you two up. I didn't." Liz bit her bottom lip. She squinted hard wondering if she should say it. "Look, you are the best thing that ever happened to him. Really. And if..if you still have it in your heart...God, Kip needs you. He so needs you, right now."

It was quiet then.

"Hullo." Liz was afraid Gem had hung up.

"I'm..I'm still here..." Gem finally managed. "I..I just don't know what to say."

"Well, if its over. I understand. I don't want to make you..feel bad..its just..well, you were so good for him. Really, you were, and if its all because of the baby, well, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." Liz knew she'd said more than enough. "But he's here. He's always here. And maybe you two could just talk."

"I see." Gem told Liz that she was on holiday in Paris.

Liz gritted hard. Who would want to leave Paris for Kip?

4 comments: