Wednesday, April 11, 2012

its not the thing that you do, but the way that you do it



"You are making me so mad." Willow said right away when Topher got off the phone with Josie. They were about to close the coffee shop. Willow wiped down the counter one last time. She glared at Topher. "You did it on purpose, didn't you?"

"What do you mean?" He looked at her as if she had a problem, not him. "Josie asked about the band."

"And what? 20 minutes later you are still going on about your band."  Willow frowned.

"Well?" Topher frowned back.

"God, you are really going to break up with her, aren't you?" She knew him, too well. He could be so high about a girl. Give it a month or so and he was ready to be free again.

"Um, I dunno." He sounded drained.

"How could you do this? Why? You, said she was different than all the rest. You, said she was like no one you'd ever met. Do, you, remember any of that?" Willow went to put the wash cloth away while Topher finished up moping.

"I know. I didn't know she'd be sleeping with her gay best friend, you know." He gritted then.

"I thought you were OK with it." Willow glared back.

"I want to be. I thought I was. Its just, you know, its kind of a competition now." He told her.

"A competition?" Willow winced. She didn't understand.

"Yes." He sighed. "Its Derrick's boyfriend. Actually, I can't stand him. He's just Mr. Goodie Two Shoes, who just so happens to be GAY. Its like he might break out in a song and dance number, all the time. How can I..even..."

"She's having a baby. And if she's important to you, then you are going to be what she needs." Willow eye-balled him.

Topher rang out the mop then. He fought out his frustrations. She knew he was agitated with her, but perhaps he would do the right thing. Although, she wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

6 comments: