Monday, March 25, 2013

what to say

Olivia thought of inviting Ellie to the dinner, downstairs from where she lived, might be good practice, as in sharing the pending news. If this went well, there would be her folks to talk to, and she had to let Ryan know.

"I haven't seen you..since..when?" Ellie gave her a hug.

"Aren't we missing someone?" Olivia never saw Ellie, alone.

"No, no, Lon's home." Ellie kept smiling. She ordered coffee while Olivia stuck with the little glass of iced water. "What's happening?" Ellie asked right away.

"Uh, a lot." Olivia didn't mean to be aloof. "Sort of. I mean, I still have my job, at the school."

"Good." Ellie nodded. She mentioned she was taking a few online classes and still working at the dentist office.

"And..and there is someone." Olivia nodded. "I, I should have just told you. I don't know why I didn't."

"That's OK. I know, you're busy." Ellie assured her while stirring her creamed coffee.

They ordered the special, winter hash with eggs.

"I just don't want you to be mad at me." Olivia bit her bottom lip.

"How could I be mad at you?" Ellie smiled as she reached in her bag and pulled out a circular scarf she'd crocheted. "I didn't even get your Christmas present to you. Of course, I didn't actually get to it, until the end of January. Actually, I did start it back in November, but I misplaced it. See, things are not perfect for me, either."

Olivia, held on to the soft gray scarf. It was a stitch she wasn't familiar with. She finally looked up at Ellie.

"I'm pregnant." Olivia smiled.

"Oh, my goodness." Ellie smiled as if it were the best news.

"Yeah. Its Luc's." She nodded. "And now, I have to decide, am I ready to give up Ravi's benefits. I mean, I have to, don't I?"

"You've got time," Ellie said.

"Anyway, I look at it, I'm selfish. I'm so selfish." Olivia couldn't smile.

"Don't say that. You're not," Ellie said but Olivia wasn't sure she believed her.

6 comments: