Sunday, May 5, 2013

just the beginning



Things were definitely starting to look interesting to Syreeta. It felt like destiny. She didn't know if she could describe it, but it was very well standing in front of her with that sheepish grin of his, and she couldn't help but return the favor. So this was the guy, Zac sort of mentioned. Sawyer.

"You're in a band?" Sawyer made it sound as if they'd already made it big. "You're in Zac's band?" He kept looking at her as if she might be some precious commodity.

"Yeah, we're in Zac's band." She was standing next to Fish. They were waiting for Zac in his livingroom. "This is my brother Fish." Sawyer shook both their hands as if he was happy to meet them.

He explained how he went to a prep school.

"I don't really know, why I even go." He rolled his eyes. "I'm not even Catholic. Its an all boys school." He made a face as if he didn't like it much, but she overheard his dad mention that he got all A's. Still he looked at her as if he were thoroughly deprived.

Syreeta couldn't help but hold in a laugh.

"I swear I'm not a genius." He kept looking at her as if he was the most honest person on earth.

"Its OK, if you are." She couldn't help but respond, and she couldn't take her eyes off of him. It was hard to say if they were sucking each other energy up, or just making their own.

Soon enough Zac came down and nixed it. Sawyer had homework, and they seriously had to get ready for this concert.. so she went to the basement with Zac and Fish. Sawyer watched her go. She hated the thought of being so far away from him, even if she just met him. Hopefully, she wasn't too weird.

"I think you two had a moment." Fish whispered while they were setting up. Syreeta gave him the evil eye to shut up. Here they were waiting, again. This time for Derrick. Zac studied the playlist. He was on autopilot. Not a word to her, nor anything about the arrival of Sawyer. It was business as usual.

Finally, Derrick arrived, and he wasn't alone.

"OK, I know I've been really hyped about this concert. And I seriously think we should do it, but..but since we want to make some money, for Sunny Wilson's foundation...I thought we should get someone, people would want to listen too."

She looked at the guy who was with Derrick. He didn't look like anyone she knew.



"This is Mitch Houser," Derrick smiled. "We go way back. Like beyond middle school. Anyway, he plays keyboard and few other things for Hatchet. Their frontman, Jordy, couldn't make it tonight, cause he's in some musical, but their band is pretty popular in the city. They play plenty of gigs, and..and I think we should open for them."

"What?" Zac wasn't too pleased to hear the news.

"Look, Jordy's band said they'd do it for free. And the more people we can get to come to this thing, the better." Derrick looked at him as if Zac should be happy this band wanted to help.

Syreeta wasn't sure what to think. Actually, she wanted to escape this whole discussion and see if she could find Sawyer upstairs.

6 comments:

  1. I'm happy for Syreeta. Bad news for Zac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel thoroughly deprived when I miss your short stories. :)
    Never stop writing.

    Thanks for visting my blog.
    Your visits make my days sweeter.
    Take me To Tarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. very awkward for sure! i liked the line "it was hard to say if they were sucking eachother energy up, or just making their own"
    xo
    MOSAMUSE

    www.MOSAMUSE.com

    ReplyDelete