Sunday, June 14, 2015

Easy Does It

easy does it




Gage did have a way of perking Clare up. One moment he could make her so happy, and yet she felt sad for him, too. Especially about Alec.

She wanted to say something..like.."I just got here, you can't leave now." But she didn't. She knew he'd been planning the trip for some time.

All the things she wanted to say, she couldn't. It was after he left that she really wished she'd made plans with him before he went to England, but she guessed she didn't have a right too. Instead, she went back to another cigarette.

She thought she might die, if she didn't have one. First though, she tried to walk it off. But of course, she didn't know where she was going.

Finally, she ended up at the playground. Naturally, Clare left her Android back at the house. She didn't like cell phones, anyway. She knew Carson had a laugh everytime she texted because usually, the words were all wrong.

Before she could turn around and go back the way she came, a chill came over her. Just what she needed, trouble finding her.

"Need a light?" He looked like a stranded surfer in an old ribbed tank and kaki shorts that hung on him just right.

"Sure." She needed a smoke, if she was going to keep her wits about her. "Told my kid, I was gonna quit." She took a draw from the cigarette and she shivered, wishing she knew the right road to take.

"It might take quite a few patches." He nodded.

She nodded.

He smoked his cigarette as if it might be his best friend too.

"Yoga helps. Meditation. That kind of thing." He shrugged.

"Sounds like you might have tried it." She smirked, thinking it definitely hadn't done the trick.

"See, I'm a social smoker." He informed her.

"Oh, so its my fault that you're smoking?" She couldn't help but smile.

"I wouldn't say it was all your fault." He winced. "But..you're really not helping."

They walked toward the boarding house. Maybe he wasn't as bad as she thought he was. But when she looked at him, she knew he had to be a good ten or fifteen years younger than her.

"You live there?" He pointed toward the boarding house.

"For the time being." She nodded as she finished up her cigarette. "I might be looking for a house."

"I thought about that too. " He yawned. "Not sure how long my father can stand me around." His grin was sly. He offered a handshake then. "Just call me Easy."

A laugh got caught in her throat. Clare didn't know if he was joking or not, but she watched him walk away.

Of course, she didn't mention her name. She doubted she'd ever see him, again.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I definitely think she'll see him again.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. who is he? Have I missed something or are you being sly? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I just read and image it as I go ! I love the character Easy already ! Please let him be a good boy !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she will be seeing him again... this kind of thing happening when I am out is precisely why I never leave home without my phone xox

    ReplyDelete