Tuesday, March 15, 2016

still mad about you

Still Mad About You




Lottie didn't want to poo on anyone's parade, but she really wasn't that impressed with Vada's acting abilities from the Little Theater's production. Lottie knew she could do way better if she'd taken on the role of Liza Doolittle.

She puffed a frown as they waited for Vada and Alo to join them at the uptown restaurant Lottie had been talking about.

"Don't start." Frankie's expression was almost identical to Vada's.

"What?" Lottie's eyes lit.

"You, know what?"

She'd never seen Frankie quite like this before. She usually had him under control. Now it felt like he was trying to control her. That's all they needed. A tiff of some kind.

"She's my twin. I dunno why..why you have to be so..." He was quiet then. "Do you know what your brother is like? I..I had to sleep with him." He winced hard, reminding her of Winter Vacation on the farm.

She snarled a slight scowl. She didn't want to talk about her family. She looked behind him and saw Vada and Alo. She faked a smile and a wave for Frankie's benefit.

Why was anger like this? It could grab a hold of you. Possess you, perhaps. Lottie wanted to like Vada, but there was nothing to like about her.

Still Mad About You



Vada had news. She was going to an acting workshop at the University. And she might help out with some kid group on the south side of town.

"This way, I can practice my acting and Spanish skills." She smiled as if she could hardly wait.

"Wow." Lottie's voice sounded slightly doubtful. "Doing a play in a foreign language?"

Alo bit a grin as if to warn Vada not to go there.

"I've only had one year of Spanish." She admitted. "But they say if you want to get better, you have to immerse yourself in the language. I've already helped this one lady at the library. She wants to learn English and the computer too. We've had some really good conversations. I help her in the computer lab at the library."

"Well, I'm proud of you. I thought you did a great job with the play." Frankie jumped in before Lottie could. "I think you should see what the University has to offer. Who knows, you might even start drama classes there, before you graduate high school."

Vada saw Lottie's glare, but she went back to her salad. Just then, Alo's long lost little brother showed up. Bear.

It wasn't long until he grabbed a salad and joined them.

Vada made a small introduction. Bear gave them a quick smile. Vada wasn't sure if she was suppose to call him Alo's little brother, but she did anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way Vada is immersing herself in culture!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Lottie gets over it... I like Vada and I like how close she and Alo are...

    ReplyDelete