Thursday, March 23, 2017

these two sides of my brain

these two sides of my brain




So, this was what she'd been waiting for.

Sheena sucked in a breath.

There were a lot of things she knew about Omaha.

1. He liked the left side of the bed.

2. He could kiss her in places on the map of her body to send her reeling into a space that was not of this earth.

3. There was just something so natural about him...that she just couldn't get enough of it.

4. And... then he could fart as if he was only there for her to smell it. And it was as if an old dog was finding his territory so he could sleep anywhere he pleased.

He talked about Carmen. That was his real family. He might have had a cousin here or there, scattered about the Indigenous Nations. But he'd been a scrappy kid who ate at the neighbor's table and never had new shoes to wear to school.

"I knew I was never good enough for her. I kept thinking she'd meet someone perfect, when she went off to the University. But she'd call me.. sometimes, like she was checking up on me. Seeing if I was OK." He seemed quite sad to share this with Sheena. "Its just..I..I didn't know..she wasn't OK. She never told me."

He pressed his lips tight.

"You..were..just a kid then." Sheena just said.

He shook his head, no.

"After she died, I didn't do much of anything. I should have gone to see her mom or something. I'm so.." He wouldn't say stupid. He sighed. "And..and then there is that Emily. I didn't know Taylor was going to marry her. Its..its like I broke them up..and I didn't even know.." He pushed his dark hair away from the side of his face.

"But..but you and Taylor are friends..and..and.." She didn't know where she was going with this, but she took both his hands, as if that would have to do. "I love you." She only said.

"I love you too. I do." He said ever so quiet. The silence began..for what seemed endless. Finally, Omaha looked her in the eyed. " I think we should..we should find a bigger place, but..but will you marry me?"

She looked at him startled. She couldn't speak, but she nodded.

Suddenly, it felt as if they could climb mountains together. It was future she wanted to run, too.

2 comments: