Wednesday, September 20, 2017

so little to go on

so little to go on




"You..hired a painter..at the grocery store?" Doris hoped she didn't ask the question, too loud. She put away the groceries while Betty needed more coffee.

"He's down on his luck." She talked of Hurricane Harvey.

"Is he from..around here?" Doris wondered.

"I dunno, for sure." Betty shrugged.

"What? Do you know about him?" Doris was a little frightened. She still hated to leave the house, and here Betty was, bringing in a stranger.

"He makes me think of someone, I used to know. I just want to help him." Betty looked at her, as if it were no big deal.

Doris smiled weekly, thinking she wanted to call Charlie and see if she could stay with them, for awhile, but she'd be brave like Betty.

"Who does he make you think of?" She winced, thinking her best friend was a little strange..or was she showing signs of losing her mind. What if she was the only sane one here?

"I know Carmen would want me to do the right thing." Betty brought Doris a cup of coffee. Doris sat down at the kitchen table with Betty.

"Don't you worry about a thing. I got a baseball bat. I'm not afraid to use it." Betty told her.

Doris couldn't help but stare at Betty, who kept an even smile. About then, she noticed the tall and rather striking fellow in the kitchen doorway. Ed was ready for some coffee, too. He made himself at home, sitting across the kitchen table from Doris

1 comment:

  1. You are such a talented writer that I just can't wait to see where this goes!!

    ReplyDelete