Monday, March 19, 2018

I think I'm alone now

I think I'm alone now




Angie applied at the grocery store in the bakery department. She guessed she needed a job before school was out. She needed to keep busy.

Honestly, she didn't know where her life was going, but she knew it had to go forward. It felt stagnated for the longest time. Yet, it took all her will to fill out the application online and then to show up for the interview. Which only lasted a good twenty minutes.

She did her best to gush with happiness about her history of baking and farmer's markets. Now, she felt an all-time low as she walked the isles of the mega grocery store. When she looked up at the bread aisle, there he was. Sawyer.

She couldn't move. She had to be seeing things. Actually, she couldn't quite remember what he looked like. It was so long ago. How could she forget her first boyfriend, so easily?

Maybe it was the fact that she didn't feel they were in the perfect relationship. She doubted now, he'd ever gotten over his first love, Syretta who was now in college at some music place in Iowa.

Sawyer moved back to live with his moms and they'd stopped texting so long ago, she didn't even have his current phone number. Neither were much for social media. Now, she supposed they should act as strangers, but then he caught her eye and smiled.

Instantly, he hugged her for quite a few minutes.

"It's so good to see you," Sawyer said, who wasn't letting go. "I moved back a couple of weeks ago. I'm living with my brother, Roger." He was taking a semester off.

"Oh." Angie tried to pull away, but Sawyer continued to hug her. Before she knew it, he was buying her lunch. He was full of questions about the old classmates.

"I dunno." She shrugged. All were at the University or joined the military. "I..I haven't kept up." She looked at him blankly.

"Are you seeing anyone?" He wanted to know.

She shook her head, no.

"Seriously?" He didn't understand. "Why not."

Angie did her best with a quick smile. "I..well, I broke up recently." It felt odd to tell him this.

"Me, too." He started talking about long distance relationships and how they didn't work. "But, that wasn't exactly, it." Sawyer had been dating some guy named Evan.

Angie couldn't help but look stunned at her old boyfriend. That was the last thing she expected.

"I mean, I..I just wanted to at least, try it..once." He shrugged.

"Once?" Angie winced hard, not wanting to think of Sawyer with a boyfriend.

"You know, what I mean." He was serious. Actually, she didn't. She mustered up a smile.

"We should hang out." He grinned. He wanted to know if she still lived where she used too. She nodded.

"You still babysitting, Abel?" He remembered.

She shook her head, no. Those days of being a babysitter were long gone. She needed to find a grownup job and get ready for the fall at the University.

No comments:

Post a Comment