Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Lily and Gram Doris

Lily & Gram Doris




"You're not moving here, are you?" Lily liked having her grandmother Doris around. She'd missed their tea-parties and dressing up alike. Her gram had such a great fashion sense. She couldn't say that about her mother.

"I'm sure I'll be back," Gram Doris told her.

Still, Lily thought she looked frail. She'd lost weight. Lily wanted to ask her if she was sick, Yet she knew it was best to stay positive.

"But I miss you," Lily said.

"How's your Dad?" Gram Doris changed the subject.

"Fine." Lily shrugged.

"Do you still see him?" Her gram looked worried as if her father had fallen back to his old ways of being distant.

"Yeah, a lot. He and Macy were sick for a while. But they are OK," Lily said while she drank real Mango tea with her gram and nibbled at the shortbread cookies. "Mom thought it was best if I stayed away a few weeks since she didn't want to get any more sick than she was."

"Is..is your mom better now?" Gram asked.

"Yeah, I suppose." Lily didn't really know.

"Oh, how I wished I had brought her home when she was pregnant with you. I don't think I thought much about it then." Gram Doris made it sound as if she were not the best grandmother, after all. "I didn't want to have put up with a new family, I guess."

"But, you're so good," Lily promised. "I don't think Mom ever expected you to take care of her."

"I know, but she's really done so much for me." Her grandmother was in tears.

"We love you, Gram." Lily reached to hug her grandmother. If only Gram knew how much they missed her.


No comments:

Post a Comment