Saturday, July 7, 2018

thinking it over



Ellie hadn't meant to spend so much time with Drew, but what could she do with the girls off with Lon to baseball games, swimming, and the fireworks.

Sure, she wanted to muster up the courage to tell Drew, he didn't need to do this, but she could see he'd probably be at home doing nothing, too.

They tried going to a movie but didn't find anything they wanted to watch.

"Is it just me, or is it everyone loves so much action these days that no one cares if there is a storyline." She hated to sound so pessimistic.

Finally, they went off to the lobster fest which was a bit ridiculous since they lived in the landlocked heartland. Still, the seafood was fresh and at least it felt as if they were out doing something. And he did make her smile. Actually, she was downright giddy when he held her hand.

She couldn't say exactly when it started. Maybe he was afraid he might lose her in a crowd. After a while, it felt so natural. Still, she couldn't exactly say what they were doing together.

"Let's just say we're dating." He smiled with a shrug when she started talking about it, after their busy week that didn't end on the 4th. "I'm sure the girls would want to know."

She nodded, thinking it was best to let it go. This was no time to ask if he was really OK with that.

"I used to get so nervous," Ellie sighed. "When it came to dating. I mean, I always felt I never wore the right outfit, or my hair was right. I guess I worried too much."

"Don't worry about those things with me. I like you just the way you are. I wouldn't want to change anything about you." Drew laughed softly. "Now, when it comes to me. I'm sure you'll hear all sorts of stuff you don't want to hear. Why would you be with a guy like him?"

"Who would say something-"

"Um, I don't know what the girls' father would think of me." He sighed and then said. "Well, I actually do. He'd tell you, you could do better."

"Don't even think it." Ellie winced. "I don't care what he thinks. The girls already love you."

It was true. She knew they were smitten the moment he came over and said hello at Draco and Macy's wedding.

She was certain now she wouldn't let anyone crush what she felt for Drew.





2 comments:

  1. First dates are scary and exciting ... you don't know where you stand but you feel electricity... it's a great feeling even if it's scary too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great words of wisdom! Thanks so much for you note!

    ReplyDelete