Friday, July 6, 2018

Meet me in the middle



Just when Angie thought things were settling down for her in Dewey, company came for the 4th, or something like that.

She felt sure Linda was his mother's sister. They both had that look in their eyes that they must have been raised in the same family.

"Cousins." Dewey sighed. "I don't think she likes me." He told Angie after the fireworks on their way home. "I don't ever remember her ever saying anything to me. Maybe its the color of my skin." He nodded.

Angie hated to ask anything more. She hoped the visit would be short. She would do her best to stay out of it.

"Well, none of us have a perfect family. My mom always seems to meet the wrong men." She finally told Dewey he wasn't alone. "I'm not even sure if my mom ever married anyone." She smiled. "But, I'd like to get married."

He smiled back. "Me, too." They got down to their room in the basement and hugged as if they'd decided something.

"Does this mean we're engaged then?" He asked.

"We can't exactly afford an engagement ring right now." She shrugged. Angie pulled away and looked at him. "You have to ask me to marry you first."

"Oh." He smiled. "Will you marry me?" He hugged her close.

"Well, of course, I will." She smiled and he kissed her then as if she made him happier than any fireworks display.

No comments:

Post a Comment