Thursday, September 19, 2019

Here's the deal



One thing Robby had learned from watching all his dad's romances was that you couldn't count on one person to create your own happiness. Of course, he felt sublime with Valentina, but he admired her creativity, too.

She was well rounded when it came to friendships. This he did envy her a bit of. Although, he was new at school and gradually he would get to know people. Valentina had helped in that way, but when she asked him to find Rosie a date for homecoming, Robby didn't know what to do.

It was troubling, but there was basketball at the neighborhood court to take it off his mind. After all, he couldn't spend all his time with Valentina.

That was where he'd met Chance who was visiting in the neighborhood. His brother Torry was going through something. "And I can only stand Casey for so long." He told Robby while shooting hoops and playing one on one. "See he keeps talking to his dead girlfriend."

Robby didn't want to ask about that. He did know that Chance graduated recently from high school. He was taking a year off before he decided about his studies. He wasn't strange like his older brother. Although, Robby thought he'd have to see this strange behavior before he believed it.

Anyway, Chance had nothing to do.

"I guess I need to find a job," he shrugged. "I don't want to be in the way, you know." He said he didn't think he was the most sympathetic guy in the world. "I mean, I listen. I just don't know what to say."

He told Robby that he was out of his element. He'd never tried very hard to make friends. The ones he had were the ones he'd grown up with.

"I don't think I'm depressed," Chance shrugged and said not like his brother Casey. He was certain his brother Torry was depressed. "Its gonna get me, whether I like it or not."

That's when Robby brought up the homecoming date. Chance chuckled. "Why not." They went back to shooting hoops.

2 comments: