Thursday, November 25, 2021

Trying to be Thankful



 Steve felt bad that Victoria went on her own to Kansas City, but she made it sound it was something she had to do on her own. "But, Thanksgiving won't be the same-"

"We'll have Christmas," she reminded him.

He guessed she was right. He hadn't meant to be selfish. There was always his parents. And maybe he was making more out of the holiday than he should. He'd hoped he would have been making pies with her today, but instead, he was making beef stew.

A knock came to the door and he was sure it might be Steve wanting to stay with him, but it was someone he'd never seen before. Naturally, the guy looked a little shocked to see him.

"Oh, I was looking for my little brother," he said. "I..I thought he still lived here."

Steve invited him in. "I didn't know him, but he moved some time ago."

"Was he with a girl?" He wanted to know.

"I dunno." Steve shrugged. "I didn't know them."

He introduced himself. His name was Daniel. Before long Daniel was eating the beef stew and devouring plenty of the warm cornbread from the oven. They talked about where they'd spent their elementary school days.

"I went to that school," Daniel nodded with a smile. "But it was just a short while." He was an orphan and it hadn't panned out well with the new family he was supposed to be with. "Back in those days, it was against the law, somebody like me to live with white people."

"Anyway, I did end up on the Reservation where my mother lived," he said she'd visited him when he was small at the orphanage.

"I didn't forget her." His even teeth showed when he smiled and yet Steve sensed he was sad at the notion to mention her. "See, she had my brother after me. And yeah, I've always wondered why she didn't throw him away, too."

Steve told him everyone had their reasons. Maybe they were doing the best that they could.

"I know." He drank another glass of milk. "But it doesn't make envy any easier."

19 comments:

  1. beeing thankful is not always easy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad that Daniel thinks his mother threw him away. He doesn't know the reasons but still it must be very hard to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, esta historia me gustó mucho, se nota que los sentimientos están a flor de piel ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I liked this story a lot, you can tell that the feelings are on the surface ♥

      Delete
  4. Hola! me gusto mucho la historia, esta genial. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiquei com pena do Daniel, é muito triste ser rejeitado pela mãe,
    será que tem alguma explicação que ele desconhece?

    Ane
    De Outro Mundo
    🌼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt sorry for Daniel, it's very sad to be rejected by his mother,
      Is there any explanation he doesn't know about?❤❤❤❤❤❤ Good question or he might have an alias.

      Delete
  6. Pobre Daniel, te mando un beso. Me gusto el fragmento.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand you. But it's hard to understand something when you don't know the story
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow the story ... gets tangled ...
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that's awful!! Sad story to be rejected by his mother, I can't even imagine!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think real gratitude is covered by any bad emotions

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!! Thanks for this chapter.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh this is interesting- want to know more! And I hope Victoria is okay...

    Plus stew and cornbread :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So it turns out that Steve wasn't alone on Thanksgiving after all! I'm glad he got a mystery guest and that he and Daniel could share the beef stew and cornbread. It does make me wonder, though, if Daniel is a new love interest, especially because things got so personal between them so fast. Also, Steve and Victoria not spending Thanksgiving together suggests that their relationship might not be the strongest. Either way, you always keep things interesting!

    ReplyDelete