Monday, May 23, 2022

into the future



 "You know, he's got a drinking problem," the way Reese said it, Brandon imagined Declan sloshing himself with a drink and it dripping from his eyes, yet he knew what Reese meant.

Yes, Reese showed up while Brandon had some time alone in the apartment. He was cleaning the kitchen as if it needed to be scrubbed before he could use it.

"Um," Brandon managed with a nod. He didn't know what Reese wanted. After all, he'd avoided him like an unnecessary illness until now.

"He's a bit of a wild card, you know," Reese sighed. He hadn't brought groceries. In fact, he hadn't brought anything but his time and he looked at Brando as if he better make use of this time. Brandon put away the dishcloth in the sink. 

"What do you want?" Brandon finally asked.

"This is really not like Declan," Reese shook his head. "What did you do to him?"

Brandon cleared his throat. Was it necessary for Reese to know?

"You know, I've been all he's needed since he graduated high school," Reese hugged himself. "I've navigated him through college, the university. I found him his first job."

"He respects you," Brandon told him. He knew he should respect him too. 

"I just don't know if he can make it on his own," Reese looked around the apartment. Of course, he was in a suit and tie. It was as if the interior decorator had arrived.

"It shouldn't be that bad," Brandon then said. "I'm confident, he'll do fine."

"Are you sure you care about him?" Reese looked at him as if Reese wouldn't hire him for the job if he'd had a chance. "You're nothing like that other fellow he was so gaga over." He pressed his lips tight as if Brandon would not do.

"Well, you are right. I don't have any money to spare, but maybe he won't need to drink so much anymore, either." Brandon didn't want to say it, but they didn't even have any liquor in the apartment. It just hadn't happened. Actually, he hadn't even realized it until now. They'd had other things to consider. Evidently.

"Just let me know what you need," Reese said. "I am the family he has. And I want to help if you'll let me." Reese talked about how Declan had nowhere to go, once upon a time. Not all families were thrilled to have a gay son. There was a time when Declan was less than zero. Although, Brandon hated to hear Reese speak of him that way.

Brandon thanked him for coming by, but he wanted to forget this conversation. It was the past. This was the present.

20 comments:

  1. Being gay is more accepted now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. Yet we all have our anxieties and sometimes we are the worst at accepting ourselves.

      Delete
  2. Interesting topic! I wish a happy week ahead!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this issue of drinking problem should be solve very quick....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great chapter. I love it. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the chapter. It's as sad as some people don't have the support of family as they should.
    Xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about Reese talking that way to Brandon, but he seemed to handle it okay. I'm assuming Reese is related to Declan?

    Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reese is the rich friend who took Declan in when Declan's parents kicked out.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I figured there was something there. :)

      And I'm so glad you're enjoying the tavern/ inn music. :) It's relaxing

      Delete
  7. Oh...poor Brandon, but I also totally understand why Reese would worry. Reese was the only one there when Declan came out to his parents. Sigh...I hope things work out for all of them.
    PS Thank you sooooo much for letting me know about the Paris Apartment! I was about to buy that book, but wasn't sure if I'd like it. Thanks for the warning:)
    And thank you for asking about my health, Ellie. XOXO Back to my usual energy level so yay for that:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bien por Brando hay que aferrarse a l presente. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. topic is interesting to be discussed ....
    excellent story

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reese seemed to have good intentions: he cares about Declan, and would help if neccessary. So Brandon should consider him as a positive factor to be taken into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd almost forgotten about Reese. But then this happened, and it was like he never left: ' "I just don't know if he can make it on his own," Reese looked around the apartment. Of course, he was in a suit and tie. It was as if the interior decorator had arrived." I could see how Brandon would be put off. But I see why Reese is concerned, too. That's one of the things that makes your writing so good; you always give us all sides of the characters.

    That said, Reese's face claim is scary intense. And it definitely gives off that decorator vibe!

    Finally, thanks for sneaking in my hearts; I'm honored to have them appear with the word "growth." :)

    ReplyDelete