Wednesday, October 12, 2022

But now it makes you so upset



 Dan was relieved that Valentina was doing well. Yes, he was happy for her and Matty. He just wished he could think that way about himself and Ivy. Oh, it felt forever that she was pregnant. True, she'd been in and out of the hospital with her blood pressure. Still, she was being watched very carefully. He even took her blood pressure readings at home too. Although, he didn't know if it were enough.

Thankfully, there was Jory to play some basketball with. He hadn't budged. Dan was certain by now he would have gotten a house in the burbs by now.

"You know how hard it is to buy a house in this city?" Jory informed him. Houses went fast. And you had to be able to make a bet on it to win it. "God, if I'd only gotten a house when I got here." He said he'd wanted to, but then Poppy came along and he thought he should wait.

"I dunno what I was waiting for, actually," Jory confessed as he made some fast moves dribbling and went in for a layup. He sighed. "She's really something, you know."

"What?" Dan didn't know if Jory was wishing he'd stayed with Poppy now or not.

"Don't worry, I'd never leave Rachel," Jory smiled. "I love her and well, I know she puts up with a lot. It's just I wish I'd gotten us a house. I know her parents are expecting it. It just won't happen this year." He plunged the ball to Dan and almost got him in the gut. It was a bit of a wake-up call.

"So what's up with you and Ivy?" Jory wanted to know.

"Oh, you know, she's just taking it easy," he didn't want to think about what might happen when she had the baby. It was a boy. It was possible she might have a stroke when the baby was born. Honestly, he was sure it was all his fault. Somehow. It had never been like this with her other two kids.

"You look..I dunno. Frightened about something," Jory told him.

Dan nodded. "You might be right. I know I look like nothing would ever bother me, but a lot of stuff does."

"Well, you are happy, aren't you?" Jory looked at him blankly.

Dan winced. He'd never thought about that. Ivy was always on his mind. 

"Am I?"

"I think you're depressed," Jory wanted the ball back because evidently, Dan wasn't going to take a shot. "I'm not saying you need to be medicated. But you should at least get checked out."

Dan nodded with a sigh. He finally took a shot, but it bounced off the rim and went right to Jory who wasted no time to take a shot which of course, went in.

12 comments:

  1. I follow you 213, follow back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan does seem depressed, maybe he should be checked out by a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we also would like to buty a house but prices are so incredible high...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genial fragmento te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I'm back!
    You and your incredibly real stories! Hope everything is well with you!


    The blog is celebrating 10 years, come join the party!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Dan. That's a lot, blaming himself for Ivy's difficult pregnancy. It does sound like he may be clinically depressed -- I hope he seeks help before it all becomes too overwhelming. As for Jory, I can relate to his house woes -- it doesn't seem so long ago that the husband and I were in that boat too, thinking we'd be renting forever. Adulting, as they say, is hard. And, as always, you do such a wonderful job of capturing it so realistically. 😀

    ReplyDelete