Sunday, April 21, 2024

It's just a little weird



 It was an odd gathering at the coffee shop, but Vanna still showed up with Koda. It felt strange to be there without Harry since this was about Maisy. Instead, it was just the four of them. Mercer and Cade knew Maisy first. Maybe they knew something.

"I did try to get a hold of her," Cade told them. He'd already bought some muffins while they waited for their tea and coffee.

Honestly, Vanna didn't wait. She grabbed the first muffin full of chocolate. She winced, she hated that she wanted chocolate so much during this pregnancy. Was something wrong with her? Of course, Koda looked at Vanna as if she needed better manners.

"I think she changed her phone number," Vanna had decided. First, her messages went through. At least the text, but Maisy wouldn't respond. Then she sent a voicemail.

"That's what I was thinking," Mercer gave her a nod. "We used to talk all the time."

"You did?" Cade looked at him as if that was a surprise.

"You know, it was nothing big. Just school and who she used to know," Mercer shrugged. Vanna nodded. It was hard to believe so much had happened since high school. Vanna was married now and they were getting ready for the baby to be here in August. 

"I guess we lost touch when..when I got pregnant," Vanna sounded as if it was all her fault.

"Don't say that," Koda scowled. "She wasn't one who..who you could be friends with." 

He told them they'd been friends with her because of Harry. Koda shook his head, "He's the sweetest guy, how could she have dumped him?"

"Let's don't make her sound like..you know, a bitch of some kind. That was not Maisy," Vanna spoke up for her. "We were really friends."

"I know she was happy that you helped her with her jewelry making," Cade told her as he stirred his black coffee while Mercer took his chilled in a plastic cup. He put a little cream in his and stirred it with a straw.

"Are you sure?" Vanna cracked a grin. "I was so slow. I didn't know what she was even doing, at first."

"I can't believe she'd give it up," Mercer said.

"I dunno. I guess she was having some tax issues or something with the site," Vanna said. "It's like everything will cost you, these days."

"How is she even living in New York City?" Cade looked at them as if it must be impossible.

"Maybe it's working out," Vanna remained positive. She just wished her friend would call her. And she could see Cade and Mercer were worried too.

"I just can't imagine what Harry is going through," Koda looked sad about it. About then the waitress came over to ask for their order. 

"I feel like a bacon burger with fries," Vanna said first thing, "But I'll take the cheese omelet with some hashbrowns on the side instead." No way was she not going to let herself have some potatoes.

13 comments:

  1. How I understand her. I ate jelly beans all the time during my pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many things change after finishing school. You write marvellously well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. life is dynamic......
    nice story....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other amazing chapter, thank you so much for share with us!
    Have a nice day ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Capitolo dopo capitolo, storia dopo storia, i tuoi personaggi prendono vita...bellissima la tua creatività...baci baci

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genial fragmento. Vanna me gusta mucho. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. during my pregrancy I ate only cheese xd

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was pregnant, I didn't eat much at first because I was constantly vomiting, and then I ate cucumbers and omelettes and drank cola. :)

    ReplyDelete

  9. I'm excited to see what happens with Maisy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ate almost nothing but donuts when I was pregnant, so I understand what it's like to crave sweets :)

    ReplyDelete