Saturday, July 20, 2024

I can't fight it, splitting my mind in two



 "How do you two do it?" Eli finally got a chance to hang out with Darry at the Youth Center. They kept missing each other. But even at the library, he could see Darry and Junie in action. They always seemed to be locked together. While, he and Amy rarely had a chance to hold hands. It was like she was afraid her mother might be watching.

"Do what?" Oh, that oblivious look of Darry. It made Eli chuckle.

"I guess you are an idiot after all," Eli tilted his head and his smile was open as he looked at him. He punched him in the arm lightly, or he knew Darry might fall over.

Darry nodded. "For the longest time, I kept thinking..why me?" He laughed all over. "I thought she might attack me."

"I think she did," Eli nodded, but somehow Darry seemed to have tamed her.

"Oh, we just kept hanging out. I still think she'll wake up one day and that smile of hers might go away, so..well.."

"Well what?" Eli wanted to be enlightened. That had never crossed his mind with Amy, who was his partner. He felt it to be true.

"Oh, I don't know," Suddenly, that skinny dude in his wire-rimmed glasses was at a loss for words. "I try not to think about it."

"But..but you guys keep it so fresh, are you-" He hated to ask just how upgraded this steady thing was for the summer. "Are you doing it?"

"Hmm," Darry's goofy look had Eli in stitches. "We don't have to." He shrugged. "It feels like a movie every time I'm with her. And I dunno. Sometimes, we play the part. Might even dance when no one's watching. We like to hang out. We just..you know, see where the day takes us."

Eli nodded. He would take note. 

"And..well, Junie does like to talk. And I listen. You gotta to remember to ask good questions," Darry looked at him as if this was key.

"Do you spend a lot of money?" Eli asked about dating.

"No," Darry squinted. "Actually, she probably spends more money on me."

"Like how?" It didn't look like Junie was spending a fortune on him.

"Oh, a snack here and there. She got us matching T-shirts," Darry sighed.

"Matching T-shirts," Eli nodded. He had no idea what kind of T-shirt to get that Amy might like. After all she was a Swiftie fan while he loved his grunge rock.

19 comments:

  1. Matching T-shirts is a sweet gesture. Nice chapter.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it even possible, spliting a mind in two:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice chapter, thanks for sharing. Wonderful Post! Have a great day!
    Rampdiary 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonito y bonito capítulo, gracias y un saludo. También les deseo un buen y creativo fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and nice chapter, thank you and best regards. I also wish you a good, creative weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hanging out and having fun sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting tough and having second thought? Sweet idea to have matching t-shirts. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Son una linda pareja. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post 😊 Have a nice day 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. so lovely idea of matchy matchy t-shirts;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting!!!
    Thanks for sharing
    We have a heat wave in Spain too, it's too hot
    I hope you are okey
    Hugs ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pinball!

    Swifties and grunge- fun combo

    ReplyDelete
  13. light hearted chat of friends and matching T shirts ,this sounds Sweet and interesting episode
    thanks for beautifying my day
    more goodness to you and loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heart this from Darry:

    "It feels like a movie every time I'm with her."

    That sounds like the essence of romance! I hope it helps Eli out.

    I love, love, love the pinball machine in the collage! 💖🧡💛💚💙✨

    ReplyDelete