Monday, August 5, 2024

Don't let nothin' get in the way



 "You're in a fraternity now?" Rafe didn't mean to yell through the phone at his brother Cade. Funny, they talked more now than they had in ages. "Are you going to live there?"

"No." Cade sounds as if Rafe is the one with the problem not him. After all, Rafe is waiting to get to the next stop to deliver the bread and pastries from the bakery. He's ahead of schedule so he made the call to check in with Cade. 

"Are you even seeing Mercer? Do you even care about him anymore?" Rafe sighs maybe he's caring too much, but Mercer is a special case.

"We see each other," Cade tells him. "It's just, you know with classes starting and all."

Rafe is sweating in the August heat. He can't take this call much longer. After all, he is a TEXT kind of guy, but he has done as Ruby asked. He is keeping in touch with his twin brother.

"Did he find a job?" Rafe is actually more concerned about Mercer than his brother.

"No," Cade doesn't sound worried. "He's with Izzy and Cowan."

"Yeah, and he's probably bored as hell, you better cheer him up before you lose him," Rafe tells him hoping that doesn't sound like an omen. He looks at his watch. He's got to move on.

"How am I gonna lose him?" Cade sounds as if Rafe has threatened him.

"Give me a break will you," Rafe says he has to go. "I'm working."

"Oh really, and you had time to call me?" Cade makes Rafe feel like the goofball he's always been.

"Ruby told me to call you so I'm doing it. If you don't want to hear from me, I won't do it again," Rafe says and he pushes the sweat in his bangs back away from his forehead. He looks at his uniform. He's practically swimming in sweat. He cringes. He wishes he'd gone home and taken a shower instead of calling his brother.

"Quit being a butthead," Cade hangs up. Just what Rafe figured his brother would say.

21 comments:

  1. College fraternities and sororities are full of clueless people and this has always been the case.
    (ꈍᴗꈍ) Poetic and cinematic greetings.
    💋Kisses💋

    ReplyDelete
  2. finding a good job is not that simple

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other nice chapter, I like it!!
    thanks for sharing yout art with us and for your amazing comments in my blog
    I really hope you are okey and happy
    Kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's good to take a break from family than to hurt them unnecessarily...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! How did I not know they're twins?!?!? And I love how realistic this chapter is, Ellie:) The sibling relationship is definitely a complicated one:)
    PS That's so crazy you guys lost power for a week!!! EEEEEEK! I hope all is well now. Thanks for stopping on my blog as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola!! uff un poco de tensión y se viene cositas. Un interesante capítulo. Ten un buen día!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ellie!!!
    Quero agradecer por
    estar sempre
    presente lá no Espelhando.
    Sua publicação é fantástica.
    Bjins
    CatiahoAlc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! All the best to your creativity!

      Delete
  8. Uy pobre. Genial fragmento. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola! Un capítulo super emocionante y muy bonito, me gusto mucho leerlo. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Ellie, what an interesting chapter! We don't have such fraternities at universities, I know them from American films and books.
    Best regards and thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here! I had problems with the Internet because there were storms in my place. Hugs, you are a very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So that was ... an interesting conversation.
    It is nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me identifiquei com Rafe, eu mando mensagens, desacostumei de ligações. Calor de agosto? Aqui é inverno e tá frio! Boa semana! Feliz agosto! 😘

    ReplyDelete
  13. First brothers and then twins
    Rest can be imagined lol

    ReplyDelete