Sunday, December 5, 2021

the brutal heart of it

 


There were some strange things going on. Or so Dan thought. He spent a good portion of Thanksgiving with Ivy on facetime with Jay and his mother who was in the hospital. He knew it was the least he could do. At least, Jay knew Ivy and the baby were OK and Ivy knew Jay was OK too. 

Maybe he'd smiled more than he knew. It was just the beginning of a very long day on Thanksgiving. Why was Dan even thinking about it now?

Bom came with food. He felt bad that somebody with a newborn was capable of creating such a great dinner. How in the world did she do it, with her hands full with not just the infant, but Ivy's son, too. And they were dressed so properly and no one made a mess. 

They invited Rachel and Jory over.

Jory was quite himself. He didn't say a word to anyone. Rachel went on to visit with the women as if they were all good friends. She'd brought huge chocolate chip cookies and left a batch for each of them. 

"What's making you miserable now?" Dan had done his duty to call Valentina on Thanksgiving. They were going to drop by, but they never did. He felt he and Jory were in the same boat. He guessed Jory and his sister Lynsey were not getting along.

"Oh, I'm not miserable." His hands were shoved in his cargo shorts and he was ever so solemn. Didn't Dan know this was normal?

"If you say so," Dan wished Jory would talk to him. "Is everything OK with you and Rach?"

"Why wouldn't it be?" Jory looked at him as if there were no problems, but not once did she address him. It was as if he were invisible, but she was full of laughter and her voice carried.

"You don't know when to quit, do  you?" Dan winced thinking they should take a walk, maybe get in a shoving match, but they'd probably just shoot hoops in the cold. "Let's get something to drink."

Naturally, it was too cold to wear shorts, but they were natives to Nebraska and that's what Nebraskans did.

 "What's that supposed to mean?" Jory followed.

"You hate to see people happy," Dan told him as they walked the empty street to the nearby convenience store.

"Is that a crime?"

"Possibly." Dan was straight-lipped. "I don't know who you've hurt, but don't take it out on Rachel. She's been good to you. She deserves to be happy."

Of course, Jory was sulking and Dan reached for the king-sized beers. One for each of them and some mile-long sausage sticks.

"I used to think you were just about perfect," Dan said on the way back.

"Well, weren't you that way?" Jory shrugged as he opened his can of beer while Dan snacked on a sausage stick.

He shook his head, no. "I worked hard being a good son. But I don't know if I ever loved them. I went to mass. I cleaned the parish. I knew my place....but I never knew what it was to have a real family. Sure, I was good. Maybe too good at times, but I still felt empty." He teared up. "And even now, it's hard to go forward. Like this really isn't my place to be..with Ivy. Maybe she and Jay can work it out."

"What the hell are you trying to tell me?" Jory grabbed the sleeve of Dan's hoodie as he took a sip of beer. "But she's made her choice. It's you. Not Jay."

Dan nodded. He tried to smile. Really, he knew he'd said too much. Damn, if this conversation wasn't going the way he planned.

19 comments:

  1. Jory has some issues to figure out, hope he can because being unhappy all the time is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a personal convo. I'm curious to see what arises from it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops that conversation is getting interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola!! vaya nunca supo lo que es tener una familia, un capitulo muy emotivo y con eso de que odia ver a la gente feliz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!! very interesting, thanks for sharing.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is bad who feels not happy all time....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uy pobre Dan parece que se metió en problemas. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Dan! His confession about feeling empty despite a lifetime of trying to be good and thinking that Ivy would be better off with Jay is heartbreaking. Yet it's encouraging that he felt he could tell Jory. Even if Jory's a mess and Dan feels like he's said too much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Men talk are always impassioned or full of hiding emotions, no midway.
    Interesting talk.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think all of us have thoughts like this sometimes, the lack of self-confidence is very bad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beers and sausages open the hearts and the mouths. And so, Jory and Dan had their talk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I feel sad for both of them. I really hope Jory will be there for Dan. Hopefully, he will be the friend that Dan needs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joryy has some problems to figure out. And Hope he can. I dont know how? To become a happy not difficult. We have alot of reasons to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Dan and Jory...everything would be great if life is so simple, but alas, so many complicated feelings and situations. I really do feel bad for Rachel.
    PS I bet your crocheted hats are beautiful:) Are you on Ravelry? You should totally post your finished projects! And sewing bags is something I want to try someday. I've seen so many wonderful patterns for them but have yet to make one, unless you count one bag I made to store our plastic bags:P And thanks for letting me know about Would You Like A Cup of Coffee! I do like the sound of the simple plot. Sometimes, we need a break from all the drama:D I finished The Tale of the Nine Tailed and I was bawling so much...although it did have a good ending so yay:)

    ReplyDelete