Monday, January 24, 2022

Let's keep it simple



 "So, it can't be love?" Cade asked as he slammed his locker shut. Naturally, Mercer looked at him a little dazed and confused.

"Right?" Cade went on to nudge Mercer toward the door they took to go home. The rush had left.

"What?" Mercer squint.

"You know, Lily?" Cade gave him a dead stare. "Is that why you fainted?"

Mercer shrugged. Honestly, he wanted to be closed-lip about it. Naturally, he was thankful no one called an ambulance. He knew his parents would be peeved. Besides, he wasn't that epileptic. He didn't think. But then again, he didn't play that many video games and it wasn't like he was around so many lights. All the time. Of course, nothing like that had ever happened before. And he didn't want it to be a thing. Not a thing he had to worry about.

"I'm fine."

Cade nodded. 

"You aren't going to out with her, again, are you?" Cade wanted to know as they huddled together in the cold. It was icy out, but the sunshine was in abundance yet the wind practically howled. They made it down to the library. 

It was there the YA librarian had Hot Chocolate Bombs waiting. Of course, you made your own drink. Really, not many knew of it, and Mercer was glad they didn't because he was going back for seconds.

"Well, she acts like I don't exist so I don't think anything is going to happen." He sighed. Yes, this depressed the hell out of him. He needed a challenge and yet no way was he going to make an effort. Maybe he could play hard to get without even trying.

At the moment, all was well with some good graphic novels and sipping on hot chocolate.

"I sure hope you're OK," Cade looked at him.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Mercer gave him a dead stare back as if he was just trying to be nice when he didn't have to be.

"I just keep thinking we should have called an ambulance that night," he looked a little sad.

"It's nice that you're worried about me, but what if I'd gone all the way there and it was nothing. Just a little weird from the cold."

"But..but it could have been COVID or what if you've got some strange epilepsy?" Cade thought out loud.

"Shut up!" Mercer snapped ready to punch Cade. "People will think I'm.." he sighed. He didn't want anyone thinking he was crazy.

18 comments:

  1. Mercer should take his epilepsy more seriously. It can be very traumatic for the person he is with if he has a seizure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. And that is a very good thought too.

      Delete
  2. Hello!! interesting chapter!!

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, if I was Cade, I'd be worried about Mercer too. Fingers crossed it's nothing serous. And yay for chocolate bombs:D Anyhoo, have a great week ahead, Ellie. Stay safe:) Our covid cases are supposedly lower but that's because we have such a backlog on testing...sigh....
    PS Dark fuschia is such a great colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know the chocolate is the best solution for many situations, but the problems with health are very important... even if he feels all right maybe he should go to the doctor to check?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely. It wasn't until over the Christmas holiday a librarian was saying how the Christmas lights on the lit tree in our library could trigger a seizure so I thought I would write about it...I also remembered when I was a teen I was on a hayride and it was very cold and I can't say if it was a seizure or not, but I was so out of it. I could hear voices around me but I couldn't understand anything anyone was saying. That is the only time I have ever experienced something like that. And of course, at the time I didn't tell anyone, because once we got to our destination and I had my cup of hot chocolate..I was OK.

      Delete
  5. Hola Ellie, que terrible lo de la epilepsia pero puede ser algo muy grave así que quizá debería tomarlo con más seriedad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uy las cosas se complican te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary stuff! I feel like something bad has to happen to Mercer before he moves past what people might think. As always, you have a real flair for medical -- and all kinds of -- drama.

    Those chocolate bombs are very tempting! I still have some from Christmas that I've yet to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years I've had a few friends with epilepsy. As one co-worker who had more episodes than I ever wanted to witness never wanted the ambulance to come. Because that would cost money. Of course, he would be so exhausted. Finally, when he did get medication, he didn't like the way it made him feel. And he would say it wasn't working. It wasn't until much later in his thirties the doctors figured out he actually had brain cancer. Since then he went through a lot of changes and moved on to another library or so.

      Delete
  8. It's hard when you don't want people knowing about your situation...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi
    Don't even talk to me about health problems, I live with so many!!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. both covid and epilepsy are serious diseases ...

    # Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  11. good dialogue writing ~ Xo

    Wishing you lots of happy moments,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Epilepsy drugs make it stuns! But this illness is so important.

    ReplyDelete