Monday, January 10, 2022

that's how it is



 Lily wasn't sure she knew what she was doing.

1. she didn't want to be a problem for Brick.

2. she didn't want to be her grandmother's problem, either.

3. somehow, she needed to find her place this new school semester, even if she thought it should be remote learning.

On the  upside, she'd found Kevin and Angie, old friends. Of course, they'd both grown so much. Although, they were only just Freshmen (like herself) in high school. It felt like she hadn't spent enough time with them growing up. Of course, she didn't want to depend on them too much. But it was good to catch up.

And there was the new apartment, well..a new place for her and her grandmother. It was on the first floor and it had taken some doing, but it seemed everyone in the family was glad she was with Gram and all things might be better this year.

But who would she meet on the way home? It was as if Rafe was waiting for her. Of course, he hadn't said a thing to her at school.

"What are you doing here?" She looked at him wide-eyed, unsure what to expect. He hadn't said a whole lot when he found Mercer on New Year's Eve. She'd only followed. His house was close to the park. Although, she thought they should have called an ambulance. But it seemed Rafe knew Mercer better than she did. Everything had turned out fine.

"Well, you know where I live. I wanted to know where you lived," he shrugged.

She thought he was being his usual arrogant self, perhaps. It was hard to tell, but he followed her in as if he was a part of her life now. Although, he wasn't the run-of-the-mill puppy. He was practically as tall as Brick and yet possibly not exactly prince charming.

"So what do you want?" She'd let him in this far. Exactly, to the apartment door. Of course, she was not afraid.

"I need to talk to you," he told her. "Alone."

"Well, my grandmother's here." Maybe they could do it tomorrow.

"No, I mean, I can't at school," he sighed. So she let him in. Naturally, there were a sea of boxes.

Before she knew it, he was helping his grandmother, who was oh so flirty with him. It was as if she was glad Lily brought him home. At this rate, she knew he'd forget why he was even here. Especially, after all the box situations were taken care of, her Gram made supper.

Lily kept thinking this was too much. What was her grandmother doing? Naturally, Rafe was charming and full of smiles. He said the Salisbury steak was delicious. And what had she done to make the mashed potatoes so amazing?

Was he ever going home? Of course, he helped clean up and got the dishes in the dishwasher.

"What were you going to tell me, anyway?" Lily winced while they were in the little kitchen while her grandmother settled on one of her favorite game shows.

"Look, one of us is gay and it's not me," he said out of the blue. What was he implying? She squinted back and shook her head. He thought she was a lesbian?

"What are you talking about?" She wanted to know.

"Stay away from Mercer," Rafe said.

"Mercer?"

"My brother likes him. I don't want him to get hurt." He looked at her as if it was really a simple solution.

Lily hugged herself.

"Does Mercer know?"

"No. I don't think so."

"I see," Lily sighed wondering where this was going. "Well, he's my friend-" she started.

"Don't say a word to him about it," Rafe was protective of Cade. She was certain of it.

"Okay." She sucked in a breath.

Rafe smiled and gave her a wave. "Then..then I'll see you around."

Lily nodded. She was pretty sure he didn't really like her. But maybe that was OK. She liked the fact that he was looking out for his brother.


15 comments:

  1. I like them both: Rafe and Lily.
    Rafe's good with grandmothers, and cares for his brother.
    Lily tries not to be a problem to others or to be dependent on people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muy chulo el nuevo capítulo!
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!! another good chapter, thanks for sharing it with us.

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!! Juicy indeed:) Rafe's brother liking Mercer....I like this twist, Ellie:) I wonder what will happen with Lily and Mercer....hmmm....I have to stay tuned for sure:)
    Anyhoo, hope you had an awesome New Year too! Our covid cases are crazy here still:( I just got my booster shot yesterday, and am not feeling to well...I got sick the first two shots so I guess it's to be expected. Sigh....and thanks for the heads up on Ghost Doctor! Just diminished The Silence Sea, and will be watching Hellhound next time when I get some time. Then, Ghost Doctor. I just saw the plot and me likey:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rafe seems like a nice guys:) so good that he was helping in kitchen and adore granda meals:) but this twist in the end... wow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good friendship is always better. Bye the way, steak and mashed potato combination sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. now THAT's interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Es una linda pareja. Genial fragmento te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one really drew me in. The dialogue is natural yet gripping, and the scene seems so real. The mystery of Rafe showing up like that and inviting himself over to Lily's was weird. He seemed slick, and I didn't trust him. So, when his ulterior motive turned out to be protecting his brother's crush on Mercer, I was pleasantly surprised. And it seems like Lily was too. You wrote about it so beautifully here: "Lily nodded. She was pretty sure he didn't really like her. But maybe that was OK. She liked the fact that he was looking out for his brother." Nice!

    Love the yellow puffer coat and teddy bear change purse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola! me gusta mucho el post de hoy, un capítulo muy bueno. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very interesting chapter.

    ReplyDelete