Thursday, July 23, 2026

It's a new Day


 

When Cedric saw CW coming into the ER with Crystal, he couldn't imagine what might be happening. Finally, it hit him.

"When did this happen?" Cedric wanted to know when he helped CW get ready for the new arrival. It was all happening so quickly. He knew CW was in shock.

"Right now," CW sputtered. "I mean, there was a time or two I wondered if..if this might happen, but I was afraid to say anything. I didn't want her going off the deep end. Really, I just wanted to be there for her. I wasn't thinking it would be the three of us."

His brow furrowed as if he might be in thought of what might be next as he crawled into the blue paper suit. CW looked as if he might be ready to work at the hospital.

"I dunno what to say," Cedric told him, that he was probably Crystal's closest family. "She's been solo most of her life. It's just. You two? Having a kid." Cedric looked at CW. Was this twenty-something-year-old really going to be on board with the idea of fatherhood?

"I just want her to be all right," CW confessed that he loved Crystal and he'd do what he could to support her.

"I know you do. You just have to keep telling her that until she believes it. She can be..." Cedric shook his head. "So testy. And to think how she wanted her sister's baby and now she's having one." Cedric remembered how motherly she was when Cedric and his partner adopted Crystal's sister's baby. Crystal thought then that might be the only way she'd ever be a mom. But now.....

There was no time to waste. CW was in his surgical attire, waiting to help with the baby.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this scene. I like how you show that the biggest moments in life don’t always come with preparation or certainty — sometimes they just happen and people have to find the strength to face them. CW’s reaction feels very human; he’s scared and overwhelmed, but at the same time his first thought is making sure Crystal is okay, and that says a lot about him. I also like Cedric’s perspective here, because his doubts feel realistic, especially knowing Crystal’s personality and her past. It will be interesting to see how they both handle this new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post 😊 Have a nice day 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome that you two have a great friend like Cedric!

    ReplyDelete