Tuesday, April 22, 2008

come together

Ellie couldn't even find Leia at school before school. She guessed she was there, but maybe Leia didn't want to see her. She couldn't find Roxie, either. But there was Cory by the wall listening to his mp3 player.

"Hey." She tapped his sneaker. He looked up then.

"Was I singing out loud?" He looked a tad out of it.

"No."

"Good." He looked away then took his ear-buds out.

"Listen, you have any idea whats up with Roxie and Leia, lately?" She looked at him thinking maybe he'd lost his luster. She wasn't quite so shy around him anymore, like she use to be.

"Uh, I thought you knew." Cory shrugged."Nick's taking them both to that ball coming up."

"Oh, really? What Ball?" She didn't know there was such a thing.

"They all belong to the same country club thing. I guess. It has something to do with school. But I'm not going."

"Me, either." She shook her head, no.

"I think they have to dance the waltz or something." He sighed.

"I see," she said. "So its just a thing." Ellie paused, thinking it would all be back to normal once it was over. "How come, Roxie can get along with Leia and not me?"

"I don't know, you must have special powers, Ellie." He whispered.

"What?"

He laughed bumping his shoulder next to hers as if they were buddies or possibly more. He nudged her again and looked over at the direction toward the opening of the school. There was a petite girl with chunky black hair near the flag pole. "You think she'd go out with me?"

"No, I'm afraid she wouldn't." She looked at him seriously then.

Cory looked hurt for a moment. Then he laughed. "Oh, I get it." His laugh was starting to annoy her then.

"OK, stop being a butthead and just ask." She shook her head, no.

"I'm just trying to make her jealous, that's all." He nodded.

Ellie rolled her eyes. "I see. What do I have to do?"

"Touch me." He was looking over her shoulder.

"Like how?"

"I don't know, just make it look real." He was quite good at making words come out of his mouth while he was still smiling.

Ellie sighed and thought of Kyle and how he would leaned in. She closed her eyes thought of what Kyle would do and how she'd react... and before she knew it...she was kissing Cory's lips.

1 comment:

  1. Oy. I can't wait to see what happens next . . . hurry up and write the next part!

    ReplyDelete