Thursday, April 3, 2008

finding myself making every possible mistake

"I'm thinking after school, tomorrow, we get Nick to take us places." Leia would have this idea as they were leaving school.

"I don't know." Ellie had plans, she just didn't feel like explaining to Leia.

"I don't understand you? What is not to like about these plans?" Leia put her arm around Ellie as they were walking out of the school. "We've got Nick, who is hot and has a car. What is your problem?"

"You go. You go with him." Ellie pulled away. "Don't you get it, I hate going out with you and him."

"What? You have it bad for him, don't you?" Leia got in her face then, and Ellie jumped back, not wanting another fight over Nick.

"No." Ellie walked on, away from Leia. "What is the point? Why do you need me? There? With him?"

Leia stopped and pulled Ellie's arm back.

"You can't do this to me now? Remember how you went on and on about Tony."

"Who moved away." Ellie rolled her eyes, not wanting to go through this conversation.

"And you said I was ignoring you. You said, I forget everything when it comes to guys," Leia said.

"OK, yes, I said that. You're like that. Sort of." Ellie stammered for words. She looked up at the time, she really needed to go home. She didn't want to wait around for Leia to find them a ride. "I'm sorry, OK. It was different then than it is now." Maybe it wasn't. Exactly. "Maybe it'll be different when we both have boyfriends."

"Except."

"Except, I don't want a boyfriend." Ellie hugged her books.

"You've never had a boyfriend?"

"No. OK, there was that time in sixth grade when I was going out with Roger for a total four hours. Everybody was going with Roger, then." Ellie sighed.

"Ellie needs a boyfriend. And I'm going to find her one!" Leia squealed.

"Yeah, right," Ellie said turning away, "I gotta go." She didn't look back. Ellie hoped Nick would call Leia and she'd forget this conversation. Ellie walked on.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, Leia . . . reminds me of several people I know. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the bleeding rose, I could think of half a douzen people who are the real-life Leia :D

    ReplyDelete