Sunday, November 9, 2008

oh, fudge

Mrs. Carson was at him again about not celebrating his birthday back in September.

"It was like I was under house arrest already after the whole Roxie thing, I didn't want anything." How many times did he have to tell her this on her walks? It was the same conversation. She so needed someone to talk to, but this really was getting kind of old.

"I'm just looking out for you. If I knew how my oven worked anymore, I'd bake you a pie." She told him as she struggled with her walker among the fallen leaves.

"A birthday pie," Kyle chuckled. "What kind of pie would you bake me?"

"A lemon pie," she said.

"Why? Because I'm sour to the world?" He couldn't help but laugh.

"Because my brother always loved lemon."

Kyle was quiet after that. She'd married someone in the war but she never said what happened to him. It was just her and her brother. Then her brother got married. Now his brother and his wife lived to Denver.

"If you can find the recipe, I'll make it for you." He promised. "I know how to cook, Mrs. Carson."

"Boys don't cook." She told him.

"Well, I do." He didn't want to be sad. He didn't want her to be sad. They had another block to walk.

"I was thinking of making something for this friend of mine who's mother is sick," Kyle told her.

"What's wrong with her?" Mrs. Carson asked.

"I dunno," Kyle shrugged. "I thought I might bring some chocolate chip cookies, you know."

"You should make fudge." She then said.

"Fudge?"

"Its easy. Just Eagle's brand milk and chocolate chips."

"That does sound easy," Kyle smiled. He just might do it.

*EAGLE BRAND FUDGE

1 (15 oz.) can Eagle Brand milk
2 1/4 c. semi sweet chocolate
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped nuts

Melt milk and chocolate over double boiler. Cook rapidly stirring frequently until thick, 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add nuts and vanilla and pour in buttered pan. Chill 3 hours, then cut in squares.

7 comments:

  1. Hi there-this sounds yummy. is Eagles milk like condensed milk? we have carnation milk in a tin, I'm thinking its something similiar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw. poor woman.

    but that fudge sounds really yummy. i wanna try that but i'm too lazy. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe, I'll try it! I love baking things too. I bet Amanda will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww, kyle is so sweet.

    i've made fudge before :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum...

    I'm glad Kyle talks to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet young man!
    and i tagged you
    but i specified that you did'nt really have to do it...yaaaa haha

    god i love reading this stuff, you are definietly an attention drawing author!

    xxoo,
    raigan

    ReplyDelete