Wednesday, August 5, 2009

outside you see the ways in her eyes

Kyle felt better after he ate. Maybe. It was hard to say. This was the worst time to leave. He knew his mother would be mad. She'd say he was messed up. Was he on something? Or he hadn't changed a bit. She was probably right. And it hurt inside that he thought she was right.

He looked up and saw Nick then. The last person he wanted to see.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He was all friendly. Too friendly for Kyle.

"Just, uh needed to get away, you know." Kyle thought he might be choking on air. "I'm leaving, you know."

"Leaving?" Nick squinted. "Oh, oh the trip to Utah. I forgot. Sorry. Man, I'm kind of lost with my days lately."

"How ya doing? Really?" Kyle wanted to know.

"Good." Nick half smiled. "I'm taking a vacation from everything."

"You like it here?" Kyle kept staring at Nick, wondering if everything was all right. He'd lost weight. His hair wasn't its usual style. It was messy. Could that possibly be stuble on his face?

"Awesomeness. Totally."

"Look-" Kyle was about to say something about Kelsey.

"Don't say it." Nick stared at Kyle. "I broke up with her. It was for her own good. She'll be happy. She just doesn't know it yet. But you're there for her, you know."

Kyle nodded, bit the edge of his bottom lip. These muttled thoughts took over, and he sat there saying nothing then. It was as if things were moving on, and yet Kyle felt so stuck. Everything around him was changing. Why wasn't he going with the flow?

6 comments:

  1. Nick has really changed, he sounds tired. And I'm sure the trip will do Kyle good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things will get better with everyone. And yes I have been watching 10 things I hate about you, it's different from the original but I really like, and for Ruby and the Rockits, I didn't even bother with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Nick might be cooler about things than Kyle knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle and his anxities..I love them both though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Kyle needed to hear this from Nick...even if he's not sure what he's talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope the trip is good for kyle. what's going on with nick?

    ReplyDelete