Thursday, December 3, 2009

the word is out

Kyle knew Nick was furious with Kelsey, but he told him he'd talk to her about it since Nick had classes and was busy with Heath. There was no need for Nick to have to be any more stressed than he was. After all, his parents knew. The word was out, thanks to Kelsey.

"So why did you do it?" Kyle looked her straight in the eye there in the hallway by her locker after school.

"Do what?" She looked puzzled and all so innocent.

"You know what you did." He glared.

She slammed her locker shut and hugged her books.

"It was an accident." She sighed as they walked out to his truck.

"Was it? Are you sure?" He didn't quite believe her.

"Yes. I just saw Nick's Mom at the grocery store. I didn't mean too. Really." She glared back at Kyle.

"How could you?"

"I dunno. I just opened my mouth and I just say, 'oh..how's Nick and Heath.'..kind of like, you know, them being a couple and well, I couldn't shut up. I just couldn't." Kelsey pressed her lips tight then.

"And you didn't tell Nick what you did, what's that about?" Kyle winced.

"I kind of hoped, she would forget or something." Kelsey shut her eyes tight. "I'm sorry, all right."

"Well, don't tell me you're sorry. Its Nick you need to apologize too." They got in his truck then.

"I know. I will. I don't think he'd believe me." She hugged her books.

"I don't even know if I believe you." Kyle said somberly, wondering how much longer this whole thing would last with Kelsey. He knew she wasn't so happy that Amanda was back at the house. She hadn't said anything yet, but he could sense it.

"Fine." She looked at him as if she was the one mad at him.

"You're just sore because of Amanda." He drove toward Kelsey's house. "There is nothing going on. All right. She doesn't even speak to me."

Kelsey didn't say anything. He just looked at her wondering if this was it. Nothing more to be said.

He pulled up in her driveway and she got out. Not even saying good-bye. He thought of so many things to say, but he said nothing. He felt the cold wind of winter seeping in. He had a feeling it would be the worst Christmas ever.

6 comments: